Putting a new born in the same room with 21 month old?

My daughter will be 21 months when her brother will be born. She is in a toddlers bed and gets in and out by her self. Would it be a bad idea to put him in there with her. He will be in a bassinet. I wan to put him in there with her bc we only have 2 rooms and her room has the rocking chair in it. Both My room and her room is very small. My other reason for wanting to put him in with her is bc we are trying to transition her from our bed to her own and i don't want her to feel jealous that he can be in our room and she cant. What do you think ladies?

Lucky13x

Asked by Lucky13x at 1:02 AM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • i think your reasons for doing this are very well thought out, and i dont think it will be a bad idea at all. the only downfall i can think of to it would be both waking up when one wakes up crying or something like that. go with it, though if you dont think that will be something you cant handle.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 1:06 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Yeah i know. My daughter still wakes up especially bc she doesn't like to sleep in her bed and i know he will be waking up. but im hoping that she will sleep better knowing that she has to be quiet bc baby is sleeping. i dont know. Who knows.
    Lucky13x

Answer by Lucky13x at 1:09 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Lol,,,,has she transitioned out of your room yet? I think thats the area you need to work on first. You have a ticking time bomb here,,,so first get dd to sleep in her big girl bed. The problem with putting baby in there is that if she hasnt transitioned out of your room yet,,,when he wakes up, he will wake her up and then everybody is going to be up for the every two hour feeding. This might take lots of patience and effort, but you can fix this. You didnt say when the new baby is due? Coming to think about it,,this can happen in the best laid plans we have, when our 21 month old IS in a big kid bed and we bring a new baby into the mix,,sometimes it takes some adjustments, every kiddo is different...good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on May. 13, 2010

• thanx. I know... I think i may try and see what happens but I have been putting my daughter in her bed but she doesnt like it and she crys and gets up and im hoping that maybe with the baby being in there with her that maybe she wont do that so much bc she'llk now to be quiet when baby is sleeping. I dont know we will see! Im trying so hard to get dd in her own bed but everynight she ends up back in our bed. He is due July 22nd.
    Lucky13x

Answer by Lucky13x at 1:16 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I do not think thats a good idea. With every child after my first I have had a "little helper". At least one child trying to play Mommy. Its not a good thing. I've caught my kid holding my newborn by her neck, caught one feeding my newborn, caught them trying to shove things in my newborns face to get them to be quiet. And this is without having two kids in the same room and me being what I'd consider, and a lot of people, a very attentive mother. So please.. don't do that.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 2:31 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I have always put our babies in our room till they turn 1-the reason is that I am a overprotective mom :: and a close friends of ours baby died of SIDS at 3 months. I definately think no because of the danger of your daughter picking your baby up. We have a 2 yr. old and a 4 month old. I watch him like a hawk because he doesn't know what isn't dangerous yet. My sisters son fell off a bed at months and had a subdural hematoma and almost died. Their skulls aren't fully formed-one blow to the head can kill them. Don't risk it mama :)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 2:47 AM on May. 13, 2010