What is your opinion on cyber-bullying?

What is your solution to it or what do you think parents should do about it?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:05 AM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm barely out of my teens myself but I still believe that parents should have full access to their kids profiles, etc. It's the parents job to protect their own kid from it and to make sure their kid isn't doing it to others. They just have to be smart about how the go about it. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with outsmarting your kid before they outsmart you! Of course, there will always be the less involved parents who will still do nothing but the more parents who do step in the bigger the difference it will make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on May. 13, 2010

• well, this is a tough one. it walks the line, but im strong in my opinions. i think there are several ways to handle it. the first one would be, if the kids doing the bullying to your child, for instance are local, find out who their parents are and contact them about it. if that isnt an option, or doesnt work, block the person from your childs list, or have your child change their screen name. to begin with, i just dont think cyber bullying would even be a real issue if parents had enuff sense to do these simple things, ya know? above all, be aware of what your kids are doing online, even if they think youre intruding, you have a right to protect your child. and if your child doesnt come to you about it in the first place, then take a closer look at the relationship you have with them. the problem may be closer to home. all speaking hypothetically, of course. every situation is different.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 1:11 AM on May. 13, 2010

• i'm sure they have done that, but the problem is. Once something gets out into cyber space it is out. So it doesn't matter if the child changes their name or blocks the people from their account...the bullying will continue at school thanks to the rumors, name-calling and bullying done online.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:40 AM on May. 13, 2010

• A girl my DD went to school with got on myspace. Told my DD to meet her at the park...said she was going to cut off my dd's head and put it in a box and mail it to me for Christmas. You bet your sweet ass, I printed it out and took it to our police station. I am not about to put up with some ghetto fabulous bitch threatening my kid! Zero tollerance on this in our house! I have full access to my kids and what goes on on the computer....helloooooooooooo it's my job!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:26 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Turn off the computer.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:14 PM on May. 14, 2010