My 7 yr old DD keeps staining her clothes

I don't know if I am over reacting but everytime my DD eats she always spills so much food on her clothes. I teach my kids at meal times to eat over their plates and try not to eat so sloppy. I have to keep the stain remover close by. My 4 yr old rarely stains his clothes from food. Should she have better eating habits by this age? It seems like she is going backwards with this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on May. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She might be doing it intentionally to get you worked up. Stop reacting to it. If the stains come out when you wash 'em, fine. If they don't, that's OK too. Let her wear them stained. It will teach her consequences the hard way.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 AM on May. 13, 2010

• So she is a little clumsy-my 9 yr. old stains his like crazy. I just quit buying white stuff or super light colors. You cannot change your kid, it is probably just who they are. Embrace it and Don't worry about it-love her even if she is a little stain maker! Chances are, no one will notice her stains anyway.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 2:38 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My friend"s DD is like this, it drives her NUTS!! She says her 3 year old son makes less of a mess than her 7 year old DD. Her DD has always been a messy eater, though. I would just keep reminding her to remember her table manners. Or you can have her help you remove the stains, show her how much work it is to get some stains out!
    Different situation but my DD was still having accidents after she was 3! She was just too lazy to go to the bathroom or didn't want to stop what she was doing. Anyways, I got so mad I made her clean up her own poopy underwear, she cried the whole time and kept saying, "this is gross!" Since that experience she remembers to use the potty:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:40 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't make a huge deal of it, she's still just a kid. You could always have her help with the laundry. And, FYI, the new Tide stain booster stuff has worked wonders for us...ds had a white shirt that he spilled red slushie all over, and it sat for like a week. I thought it was hopeless, but tried anyway and the stain booster got it looking like new.
    Anonymous

• My kids do too (mostly from playing outside)- stain clothes/ I wouldn't make a huge deal. When we go to olive garden, my dd wears something dark - the color of spaghetti sauce!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:13 PM on May. 13, 2010

• just face the facts she is MESSY! My 5 yr old is the same. Its just who they are! My son is 6 and much neater but thats who he is!
    Anonymous

• Don't make a big deal about it. You don't want her self worth to be wrapped up in how well she keeps her clothes clean. It is frustrating but maybe you just keep the shout near by or have her change into play clothes.

IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:58 PM on May. 13, 2010