Tubes tied? or vasectomy?

For those of you that have gotten your tubes tied, after how many children did you decide to have it done? Did you hurt worse after having them tied? Are there different ways of getting your tubes done? Did it affect your baby bond time after delivery having it done? I am thinking of having this done (after this baby #4) but DH has said he is willing to get a vasectomy, just a lil nervous. I'm not sure he will. I know it will be alot cheaper for him. I am just worried about the pain after wards and the bonding time with baby being disturbed. I wouldn't have anyone here at home with me after the babys born to help me but he'd have me to help him (DH works while I am a SAHM). Has anyones SO stepped up to the plate and got the vasectomy done so it'd be easier on you? Is the healing time for it pretty fast compared to tubes tied? Was it as bad as they thought it was going to be? Sorry so long

Dianebrooke

Asked by Dianebrooke at 2:42 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Health

• I used to work in a clinic and the guys were in and out of the procedure in about 45 minutes. It does not take much time to heal afterward. A vasectomy is less invasive than getting your tubes tied.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:55 AM on May. 13, 2010

• The point here is do you really not want to get pregnant? Vasectomy all the way! 1-300 women get pregnant after they get their tubes tied-1 in 600 women get pregnant when hubby gets a vasectomy. My doc told me that so my husband is getting one-easy procedure. a day and 1/2 recovery time. ice and baby him for a few days
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 2:55 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Oh and my husband won't do it. He's paranoid that the Dr. might make a mistake and clip something important. Aye ye ye.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:56 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Getting your tubes tied is quicker recovery then your man get himself fixed. I had my tubes tied on a friday morning and I was on the couch for the rest of that day saturday was feeling a bit better sunday was at work on my feet for 9 hours and was fine. Getting your tubes tied is like the worst period you could ever think of having and a man having a vasectomy is a week of recovery. Why don't you google it and see what side efforts come up. It's no big deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on May. 13, 2010

• i am almost 28, and am pregnant with my second child, and based on my moms experience, i am getting my tubes tied when i have this child. she got hers done right after giving birth and she said it didnt affect her in any way, no extra pain, and definetly no decreased bonding time. they went in thru her belly button and did it, and unless youre an inch from her belly, you cant even see her less than a half-inch scar. talk it over with him, if you think he might not go thru with it, the best bet might be for you to get tied, unless you want baby #5, lol. good luck!
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 2:58 AM on May. 13, 2010

• VASECTOMY!! I'm sorry but I am NOT gettin my tubes tied. Dh made a promise and I am going to make damn sure he sticks by it. So far all the pain's been on me and at this point its his turn. Call me selfish, thats fine, but thats my opinion and I refuse to budge. He's getting snipped. Now its his choice wether he gets it done my someone licensed to do it.... or by me in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Thanks for everyones answers so far. Baby number 4 is our last :) DH has even mentioned both of us getting it done since we have heard stories of people getting pregnant after just one procedure is done. My mom had her tubes done after #4 and said she hurt worst afterwards. I have heard that the part that causes the most pain in females is when they stretch you so they don't touch any organs. Thanks again ladies :) Just alot of info to take in and any extra info (or self experience) is greatly appreciated.
    Dianebrooke

Answer by Dianebrooke at 3:37 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Look into Essure. It can be done in the office. Recovery is typically less than a day. No chance of self reversal like with a tubal or vasectomy. You don't have to worry like PTLS like you do with a tubal. You get confirmation that it worked. I had it done and I LOVE it!
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:13 AM on May. 13, 2010

• When I was pregnant with our 3rd son hubs and I decided he would be the last one. Hubs and I decided that since #3 was going to be a c-section I would get my tubes tied (since they would be in there anyway). they did the tubal a few minutes after delivery, while the baby was getting cleaned up and weighed/measured. As for pain I really can't say how much there was, since I had the c-section and was hurting from that.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:06 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My husband had a vasectomy when our 3rd child was 6 months old. He was in and out of the doctor's office in 45 minutes. He was sore for a day and was fine after that. He did not even take the pain meds the urologist had prescribed.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:17 AM on May. 13, 2010