Does anyone here have PTSD?

I recently found out that i have PTSD. I am having a hard time really grasping this new idea. it seems so foreign. I guess i'm looking for support. i don't really know to explain what i'm feeling either.

i already did a group search. i found a few groups that seemed okay. but they aren't as active as i'd like and they cover such a broad area (not just ptsd, but also anxiety, depression etc) it seems that i am the only one who only wants to discuss PTSD.

...and i posted this hear because i feel that many of you frequent R&B browsers are about as close to friends as i have at the moment.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 3:03 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was slapped with the PTSD label about 2 years ago- and offered a bunch of meds... I cope pretty well on my own, and the nightmares have become fewer and fewer, as have the flashbacks, and momentary anxiety attacks (I have always been prone to anxiety attacks, mainly because of my very violent start to life- and continuing violence through later childhood, and my teen years becoming the worst of it).
    Now, when I reach the point of breaking, or something triggers me, I simply take a deep breath, reassure myself that I am safe, and no harm will come to me. MOST of the time it works, and my SO has played a huge role in assisting me through this patch of my life- He's seen me at my worst, it can only get better.
    It DOES get better, but you just have to want it to, and not let fear, sadness, or shame rule your life.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:48 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Maybe you need to find a website that deals specifically with PTSD and anxiety, they might have a form so you can talk to others. Also there might be support groups in you area you can join, that can be very helpful. 

I'm sure there are others here you are dealing with PTSD or know someone who is, hopefully  they can tell where the best places to find support are. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:52 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes....and you might want to start a CM "PTSD" group...it takes time to heal...and then it comes back on occasion...but it is good when it is not a part of your daily life....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I suffer from PTSD...also anxiety, and depression. I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was 15 years old. I'm almost 21 now, and I'm still dealing with it. It's just a fancy name for you've been through something traumatic, and it's going to haunt you for a while, until you can learn to let it go....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I wish I was bold enough to not put this on anonymously but I have CM friends who I'd not want to know I have PTSD too. You question touches my heart. It might help to seacrh for groups on the internet under what your own trauma is down to - birth, rape, violence, abuse, witnessing something, etc. That might help moe in finding a gorup?

I cope by doing many small things. I no longer try to overcome it all. The futility of that almost killed me. I read a lot around the topic, had counselling, paint, draw, write,,,,,,,,,, endless little things, that seem like nothing on their own. But you are unique. You already have the answer to how best to help yourself. Just keep asking, keep looking for pointers.

I iwsh I was with you right now. I wish we could hug and chat and scream and cry together. Don't give in to it. You are worth every one of your efforts to heal yourself. YOU MATTER.

HUGS!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on May. 13, 2010