Thinking about taking myself off bedrest at 34 wks.

I'm 33 weeks today (thurs). I've had ultrasounds of my cervix that prove that my cervix is a good length. But my dr. still has me on bedrest just in case. But I have a house to clean up and prepare for a new baby. I have three kids that my mom has been taking care of, and I don't want that. I want to take care of my own kids. I'm getting really depressed, and REALLY uncomfortable. The ultrasound (a very accurate ultrasound, not just a plain boring one) shows the baby was 3 lbs 13 ounces at 32 weeks, so I'm thinking she'll be almost 5 at 34. What do you think? Stay on, or go off?'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Why would you risk it? ESTIMATED weight has NOTHING to do with the fetal development!! 34 weeks is too early for a baby to be born without the risks associated with prematurity. This is going to sound mean so please dont ream me for it but isnt it worth another 2 or 3 weeks in bed just so that you dont have to see your baby laying in the NICU for those 2 or 3 weeks? I just dont understand ladies that do this, or even think about doing it! I was put on bedrest at 31 weeks with baby #2 and I went nuts but I still kept my a$$ in bed until I was 37 weeks because i cared enough about my daughter being born healthy (and I am not talking about a "healthy" weight) And your cervical length is probably good because you are on bedrest! Get off of it and watch that thing efface WAY too quickly
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:12 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Stay on bedrest. 34 weeks is still too early. Babies lungs are not ready until week 37+. Why take the risk? If something bad happened to your baby can you imagine the guilt you would feel if you putzed around and made her come early.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:24 AM on May. 13, 2010

• i would stay on it. I had my baby at 34 weeks and 6days.......she was fine and spent no time in nicu, but that was very lucky! at 34 weeks 1 day in the womb is worth 2 outside, longer baby stays in the better, good luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:09 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I'd stay on it until the dr takes you off. If you want to TALK to the dr about it, that's one thing. But I would not go against the dr's advice and do it on your own. Too risky.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:17 AM on May. 13, 2010

• You are *thinking* baby could be, but you don't know that baby will be that sized-- and that is still so small!
    It's hard to receive help, I know~ but it is very important to get as close to that due date for the Baby's sake.

Please check this out:

Why the Last Weeks of Pregnancy Count - March of Dimes

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:50 AM on May. 13, 2010

• While I always believe that people should be in charge of their healthcare, especially pregnant women, it's not advisable to make this decision on your own. Obviously you were put on bed rest for a reason, and I couldn't imagine being in your shoes, you need to discuss this with your doc. If your still on it "just in case" the doc must have some concerns. GL mama, I imagine it's hard, but you gotta keep that baby healthy! Mabe talk to your doc about some form of modified bed rest.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 9:53 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Oh please don't go off of it! I feel your pain. At 35 weeks I was put on complete bedrest for 2 weeks.
    It was not fun! I have 2 little ones, how are you on bedrest with 2? I had my cousin come help me for
    awhile. Do you have some family that could come help? If not, just try to take it day by day. I'm now 39wks!
    Your almost there!!

Stay on.
    hhhuuuggsss !! :)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:10 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My doctor is taking me off at 36 weeks for sure. He said so when he put me on, I was on for a week at 27 weeks. then off for three weeks. and then back on this time going to be for 5. Its been 2. I'm losing it, lol. I've been staying with my mom cuz my husband doesn't help enough, I'm homesick, and I know my house needs cleaned up. Buh UHG, i know i should stay in bed. It makes it so much harder knowing its "just in case" though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My Ds was born at 34 weeks. He spent 9 days in nicu. If i could have i would do anything to have done anything to have another 3 Weeks. If you aren't a nicu mom i can't describe the guilt and pain that you feel. The sorrow when you leave the hospital without your baby. So stay your butt in bed until your 36 weeks. The go home and clean. But let your tiny one cook!
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 11:43 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My sister had her baby at 34 wks and she stayed in the hospital until her due date!! She was 6lbs 6oz but still had trouble with breathing/eating/reflux/heart. It was extremely tough on my sister( she had a 10mo old at home) having to take care of her kids at home and try to get to the hospital everyday to see her baby. Although some babies might do fine, chances are it wont be that much easier. I hope you can find it in you to keep that baby in a few more weeks, good luck :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:19 PM on May. 13, 2010