How can i get my daughter to go to sleep on her own? or is that even possible at her age? lol

She will be 15 months in a couple of weeks. She rarely nurses at night anymore, and can fall asleep on her own with someone other than me. so THATS a big change, but I don't want her to be sleeping in bed with us forever.

How can I break this habit and have her fall asleep on her own in her own bed? She's slept in there many times but only if I was in there puttnig her to sleep.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:36 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi there... I have a method, but I am soo sleepy I am headed off to bed. Pm me and I will respond in the morning if you don't get the answer you like tonight.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:40 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Put her in there awake and she will cry but each night it will get better it may take up to two weeks but keep at it and she will be in her bed in no time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on May. 13, 2010

• at 15 mths she is probably going to have to cry it out a little as she is so used to sleeping with you.......so I agree with the previous poster, you have to be consistant though every night as hard as it may be, so dont start it until your ready to really stick to it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:04 AM on May. 13, 2010

• okay, ive done this and right when shes about to fall asleep on her own, her dad will let her out. we are obviously NOT on the same page. ive explained to him the concept of it, and he says its mean shes scared. we have a light on in there for her and i lay her down tell her night and give kisses.... how can i explain to him to not do that?
    im the one that puts her to bed not him. lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:16 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Compromise with him. Together, decide on a set amount of time that you will "allow" her to cry and stick to it. If he wants to go in there after that to help her calm down he is not to let her out, he (or you) go in and sit with her and rub her back, shush her quietly, sing to her or whatever to get her to calm down again. You might have to lay her back down a couple of times when you do that too, but just tell her "No, no, it's time for night night." The first couple of nights might be a little tough, but if you don't stick to it and be consistent it's not going to work and you'll end up worse off than you were before. To help her transition make it sound exciting for her, let her pick out sheets or blankets and while you are getting her ready for bed tell her over and over that you are getting ready for bed and that she's going to be a big girl and sleep in her bed.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:23 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I answered this question about night weaning but it explains a little more about how I got my dd to start sleeping through the night and to start finally going to sleep on her own, I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have any just send me a pm. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. click here

whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:25 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I don't really have any advice cuz my youngest just transitioned himself at 10 months :( Good luck and try to keep in mind crying isn't good for her. She's just confused. Maybe a comfort item would help?
    rowansmum

Answer by rowansmum at 8:24 AM on May. 13, 2010

• cio, it hurts you more than her but you get the results you want later in life. she should be able to sleep on her own by now for sure in a crib. crying doesn't hurt children, it's a response to frustration which they will later feel in life and it teaches them to cope.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:30 AM on May. 13, 2010

• my daughter was 17 mos and i was sick of getting kicked haha! i put her in room covered her up, told her mommy would be in in the morning to get her and walked away! she fussed a bit but every few minutes i went it and rocked her and put her back down but i didnt expected full nights the first night. so by the time she fell asleep and i got to bed it was late so i brought her into my room even if she was asleep. i did that for 3 nights. after that i figured i would let her let me know when she wanted me....well, she didnt. apparently my little one preferred to sleep alone and has been in her own bed since. occasionally she wakes now and asks to come into my room but its rarely for the rest of the night and she is 23mos.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:34 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I agree with the other pp's you will have to let her cry it out. The longer you do this the less time it will take her to fall asleep and stop crying. But the more you go in there the worse it will get. She will learn that by crying she gets what she wants and you do not want to open that door.
    Pick set time like say 20 mins. if she is still crying he can go in there and get her. It hurts you more than it hurts her. We did this with our son it slowly went down 15 mins he stopped crying, 10 mins he stopped crying, now it is 5mins at the most if he cries at all.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:54 AM on May. 13, 2010