my dd pediatrician told me "the best way to stop breastfeeding at her age (15 months) is to stop cold turkey"!

i thought this was VERY strange thoughts?? my sister did this with her dd who was 18 months and her dd didnt ask for a boob after 1 week. and she was done.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:36 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say offer a sippy instead of the breast as much as possible. On breast feed when you need to. Then slowly eliminate the breastfeeding.

Answer by louise2 at 5:53 AM on May. 13, 2010

• meant=only

Answer by louise2 at 5:54 AM on May. 13, 2010

• If you do you couldn end up (not saying you will but its possible) with an infection if your milk ducts get really swollen. I weaned my son off over a period of time (about a wk). Cut out 1 feeding a day...leaving the bedtime feeding until last.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:42 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I'm not in the process of weaning but as my dd gets older, 1 yr, she goes longer w/out eating. I always know when its time for her to breastfeed cuz my breasts ache & if I don't feed her they really start to hurt! Know I won't be able to "go cold turkey" for her when its time for her to wean. I'm gonna cut out the daytime feedings 1st, then as she goes to sleep, then last when she nurses 1st thing in the morning cuz this is my favorite special time w/ her & the one feeding I'm gonna miss.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:52 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I just love how Doctors who never BF know what you should do. The best way for both is to gradually wean. One feeding a week. Leave the night one for last. It's better for your body. It will tamper off without the pain and swelling or wet shirts from the milk gushing out because it needs to go somewhere. And best for your daughter. She's too young to understand. She could take it as rejection from her Mom to just go cold turkey. This where she has gotten her comfort and food for so long.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:03 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Oh man, gotta love doctors - you will be so uncomfortable and poor bub will not know what happened !. The way I weaned was, I only breastfed when my baby actually wanted specifically the breast. So during the day in particular I would offer other drinks and food. If she really wanted the breast she could have it but I tried to distract her with other things. I also wore dresses and hard to access tops so she couldn't get as easy access. It depends on your reasons for weaning. If there is a time frame, then you need to be rigid about dropping a feed every few days, but otherwise, just encourage her to take other sourced foods and she will go there. I would keep the first and last feeds of the day til last as they are roughly 12hrs apart and will provide the most comfy outcome for you. Many women keep the evening and early morning feeds long after the baby has been day-weaned
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:49 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Sure it'll work but you two will be so miserable. You'll be full and possibly get plugged ducts which can lead to mastitis and your poor baby will have no idea what's going on or why. Keep in mind that babies don't only nurse for food, they do it to settle themselves and to get comfort and reassurance. Kick you dr in the pants for being so stupid and completely disregarding your childs emotional and psychoogical health as well as yours!
    rowansmum

Answer by rowansmum at 8:18 AM on May. 13, 2010

• It will be difficult for both of you. I am a proponent of child-led weaning. I worked full time and breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on May. 13, 2010