• In the Spotlight:

Here the situation. What do you think? Considering possible employment. It a long story, sorry.

I applied for this position probably about 11 weeks ago. I interviewed for it 9 weeks ago. I had a second interview 8 weeks ago. Then I heard nothing for two or three weeks. The director I interviewed with then called me "just to let me know they were still in considerations." Which I thought was nice of him. Then about two weeks ago I got a phone call from HR asking me to fill out an email form for my references. Here is where it gets hairy. I filled out the form with three reference but only one responded. That Friday the director called me again and said they really need at least three references and if those people wouldn't respond to add more, he said that it was holding things up and "I wanted to have you in here for Monday". So I added three more and they all responded pronto. So now I have four references in. Then I didn't here from him so I called on Wednesday to make sure he had everything he needs... con

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OP here-

So he said to me "Oh didn't HR call you? They were supposed to call you yesterday. The references aren't the problem anymore. We have four references for you. We were trying to get a hold of your former place of work... are they out of business? [They are not they're just apparently not answering their phones for them. He went on to say...] We are almost there. I'll see why HR didn't call you."

I am worried my former employer is dodging them in order to not give a reference which is messed up because I was really a good employee for them. Do you think this sounds mostly positive, or do you think that my former employer is going to botch this whole thing up for me?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on May. 13, 2010

• If you left on good terms (and heck, even if you didn't), you should call your former employer and let them know that they should expect a call from your new potential employer. This way, they wo't avoid the calls, because places of business do get busy. Other than that, everything sounds good! Good luck!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I would also say to the HR, look you've got 4 positive references, I have been open and honest and I am not sure what the problem is? They sound to me like they are giving you the run around. If they really wanted you in there last week, they wouldn't be fussing about a past employer if they had 4 good references on file. Ring HR and ask them what the problem is, and how it can be resolved. If your past employer got hit by a bus they'd have to find another way to verify your work, so they can surely find another way around this. I think you are being given the run around on this,
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:43 AM on May. 13, 2010