dog

i have a 10 month old dog that snaps at my 19 month old son when he touches her. what do i do i dont want him to get hurt

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Pets

• Get rid of the dog
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:06 AM on May. 13, 2010

• has she always done this, or is this a new behaviour?
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 8:18 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Training classes..or get rid of the dog.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 8:30 AM on May. 13, 2010

• When the dog snaps is it when there are dog toys, bone or food around? Does your son pull on the dogs ears or fur at all? I would have a behaviorist come out to the house and evaluate the dog. training classes are a good idea but they don't always address this issue. In this case one on one would be better.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:17 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I would call a dog trainer or call your vet. Is this a new behavior? Maybe he is in pain?

If all else fails, you can find him a new home. There are lots of people looking for a new dog to love!
    r4str

Answer by r4str at 4:33 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If the behavior is new, the dog should be checked for injuries. If the behavior has been getting gradually worse, you need to pay attention to when it happens as well as how your child handles the dog. It's possible that the dog has come to associate your child's touch with grabbing or pinching or just being too rough. I raised my boys with dogs and cats, but I trained the boys along with the pets. Even a child friendly dog/cat will defend themselves if they are being hurt.

That being said, it's also possible that the dog is gradually developing issues with jealousy, or as your child becomes more mobile is feeling like it's sharing too much/not enough space. Try watching them together when your child doesn't know you're watching and you'll most likely get a better idea of what the problem is. Above all though, you need to protect your child. Sometimes even a good dog just doesn't deal well with children.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:20 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I would speak to a vet or some other professional dog behaviour specialist. This can be fixed, no need to get rid of your dog.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:21 AM on May. 14, 2010