potty training

im potty training my 18month old little girl and i think things are going good.i was just wondering how everyone else went about potty training there kids.

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 9:07 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My girls were potty trained by 19 and 21 months old if you go to my journals on my profile page you will see how I went about it. The reason I wrote it on my page is because I had like 3 people in 2 weeks one day message me asking how I done it so fast and so young I got tired of rewriting it so I wrote it on my page lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:11 AM on May. 13, 2010

• i cant find your journals
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I trained my first using this method: http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    Basic gist is that you move straight to underwear and instead of taking your child at fixed intervals (every 20 mins for example) to the potty, you wait for the child to start wetting or pooping and then move her to the potty, rewarding her if a little makes it in and calmly explaining that pee/poop go in the potty. It took her about 10 days at 19 months old. My second started training quite a bit younger -- she was 16 months when she started waking dry from long naps and wanting to sit up on the potty like big sis. Since she was so young, we started more gradually, and pulled down her diaper to let her sit after meals, before and after sleep times, etc. She caught on quickly so we switched to underwear full-time at 17.5 months. We had a lot of accidents until recently (20 months) but now she is doing amazing.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:17 PM on May. 13, 2010

• And I also wanted to add, like pp said in her journal (which I did find on her profile), the really young ones don't seem to respond much to rewards. Praise, hugs, smiles works better. My second daughter started responding to jelly beans at about 19.5 months, though... I think somewhere in there is when they start getting the cause/effect thing a little better (and now we're finally able to get her to take bites of things like salad in exchange for more cheese at the dinner table!). Good luck, I think it's a great age for potty training (at least for girls, which is all I have). Well worth a little effort now, even if they supposedly can train themselves at 3. (I sure don't want to be dealing with poopy messes that long, and I don't think my girls need to sit in it that long, either). My oldest is about to turn 3 and when I look at her, trying to imagine her in a diaper is the most absurd thought!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:21 PM on May. 13, 2010

• go to my profile page scroll down you will see where it says journal posts it is under there
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:41 PM on May. 13, 2010