Why do you "women" this person is a good "mom?"

She bought her 17 year old daughter a vibrator and everyone is praising her for having such a great relationship with her daughter!! Am I the only one that thinks this is sick?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why is it sick, that she would rather her daughter use a vibrator to masturbate with than go off and have sex with a bunch of guys.
    Masturbation is a very healthy thing and kids need to an open and honest parent.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:48 AM on May. 13, 2010

• ???? I guess that she has an open mind to masturbation,,, didn't see what your talking about, so IDK
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:49 AM on May. 13, 2010

• How is it sick? She is teaching her daughter to respect herself and relieve herself rather than just go out and have some guy do it. She is being open and honest about sex. What's wrong with that?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:49 AM on May. 13, 2010

• So far, you're alone here. I don't think it is sick either. Sexuality is normal and healthy and I don't believe in shaming a young girl for having sexual desires. I think masturbation is a really safe way to do act on those desires. Masturbation never hurt anyone and never got any woman pregnant and in the words of the former surgeon general "you always know that you are having sex with someone who you love." I see no problem with open communication between a mother and daughter either.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 9:54 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I fully understand being open about SEX but encouraging your daughter to masturbate (and yes, that is a private thing) is sick. Sure, let her do it but don't give her the resources to do it. Open communication is talking about sex and how to protect her from STD's and pregnancy. Oh and what 17 year old guy is going to be able to get a 17 year old girl off? None-unless she goes with an older, experienced man which is probably what she'll do when the vibe gets to old for her. Its not stopping her from having sex, its just getting her ready for it.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I agree with all the other comments. Its not sick. I would much rather my children learn about masturbation (which is a completely normal and healthy thing to do) then have sex.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:58 AM on May. 13, 2010

• You really think in order for a woman to 'get off' she has to have a more experieneced partner? Wow. That is so not true. And it can stop her from having sex. I don't understand the mentality of giving one the resources to explore their body and experiment with it sexually is somehow going to make them want to go straight out and have sex with an actual man. Like I said in the other post...Europeans are more open about sex and sexuality and will gladly give their teenagers sex toys and they have a LOWER teen pregnancy rate.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:01 AM on May. 13, 2010

• To that last comment... no, I doubt she will be giving a demonstration, come on! It's private and I'm sure she will be doing it in private, I doubt they have family masturbation sessions. Give it a rest. Maybe the girl didn't want to or couldn't sneak around and make a purchase like that. After all, she is too young to enter a sex shop and ordering online it would come to her home and she would be asked about it anyway. I see this as the mom saying, sex is not dirty and we don't have to skirt around your sexuality like it is the shameful elephant in the room. It's also showing that their relationship is open enough that she is never going to be the mom that finds out that her daughter was having sex without her knowledge- possibly after the abortion she had to go through alone or when she is nine months pregnant with her hidden shameful pregnancy. So, that's why it is praiseworthy.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:03 AM on May. 13, 2010

• i just think it will ruin her chances of having good sex with men..she will probably never be able to have an orgasm unless she has that vibrating penetration
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:04 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Just curious- are the anons all the same person- the op- or is there more than one with that opinion?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:05 AM on May. 13, 2010