Should your Faithfullness be based on how much you can pay?

So DH and I have been struggling lately. We are still making it but barely, and we havent been able to afford a 10% tithing every month. I am also really struggling with our church. It seems that your faithfullness is based on wether or not you pay a full tithe each month. I mean, I am told all the time.."you just need to have Faith that the money will be there". I feel like I am looked down on when we cant pay ya know? I guess I am asking, is this common practice in other churches? Do you really believe a person's Faith should be based on what they can pay to the Church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am in the same boat, there are some months we dont pay anything at all, my church is kinda small so they all know our sistation. When the money is good we pay a little more, thats what we have been doing.
    nurdreams

Answer by nurdreams at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2010

• No, not at all. God doesn't care what you make. Donate what you can, when you can.   I try to donate what I feel comfortable with, plus a little bit more.  God wants you to take care of families there is nothing to feel guilty about.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:18 AM on May. 13, 2010

• We pay whatever we can each week. Some weeks that's more than 10% and some weeks it's less. We've never been made to feel like we should do more or our Faith is in any way dependent upon how much we give each time we go to Mass. My husband left a church once way back when he was younger and was trying to find "the right" church because of something like that. The Pastor of the church saw him at work one day (he worked in sales back then) and went over and asked him right there how his tithing was. He never went back.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:18 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I never really thought money was the only way to tithe. We grew up in a paycheck to paycheck situation. Money was always tight so my dad drove the church van in lieu of monetary offerings. I worked the church nursery and assisted the first grade class. My brother controlled the PA system and mom volunteered with puppet shows and pot luck dinners. Nonetheless Jesus is fine with what you are able to give. It's the humans you need to deal with. It does seem to be a common practice in churches that I've been too and the ones I've been thrown out of.  No a person's faith is not measured by what they pay to the church. if you're being bullied into giving up your lunch money maybe you should seek fellowship elsewhere.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:25 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Op here~~
    Thats how I feel. That our faith should no be based on what we can pay. I mean if we could afford it, we would pay a full 10% of DH's income, but right now we are struggling to find the $35 to pay for DD's dance class(this is the last month of her class), so finding that much money is just not going to happen. Our Bishop talked to DH a few weeks ago and told him about the church's "welfare" program, and that they are there to help. We would junst need to ..."Take a leap of Faith" and pay the full tithe at the first of the month, then if at the end we are still short the church will help. I dont agree with this, and find I am really struggling with my beliefs right now because of this. I mean dont missunderstand me here, I am not going on any welfare program unless we absolutly have to, and right now we are making it, but not if we pay what our church feels we should be paying.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:26 AM on May. 13, 2010

• OP again~~~
    I just dont feel the Lord would really put a price tag on our faith ya know? I feel that He knows what is in our hearts and knows our struggles, and that we should pay what we feel we should, or what we can. But it seems that we are being looked down on because of this.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:27 AM on May. 13, 2010

• "I just dont feel the Lord would really put a price tag on our faith ya know? I feel that He knows what is in our hearts and knows our struggles, and that we should pay what we feel we should, or what we can. But it seems that we are being looked down on because of this."

You're right, the Lord knows better than anybody what's in your heart and what you are able to do (or not do) at the moment. You know that, and in light of that try not to let the feelings that your having about the people in your Church effect your beliefs as a whole. It's those people who are making you feel this way, not God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Find a new church ASAP.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:54 AM on May. 13, 2010

• No, it isn't based on that. You give what you can give. Personally, we tend to give about 10% (as far as I can tell as hubby puts the money in the plate... he is the one who works!)... and it always has come back to us in some way, shape, or form! We give, say, $40 one week, and then a customer will "tip" him that $40 later in the week. We don't EXPECT it back.. its God's money after all, but God knows that and takes care of us. We aren't rich. I mean, my son is on Medicaid! But God has always taken care of us, and we know he always will! It is based on your heart, not your wallet.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:26 PM on May. 13, 2010

• No.. when I tithe and I do and I have nothing.. its not just about faith but more about honor.. honoring the pastor the leadership and the church you attend. for me its never how much I can afford but how much to I want to give and with a gracious heart and honoring attitude. I LOVE to give its the kind of heart I have and it is SO much fun to bless and honor others and esteem them above yourselves!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:41 PM on May. 13, 2010