Should I be satified with a C average of my 8th grade son

In 6th grade my son had an A average, in 7th he had a B average. Now in 8th grade he has a C average because he does not complete his assignments/laziness. Should I continue to remind/nag him about missed assignments? and when should I let go and let him get what he wants? I have let go more so since previous years which is why his grades are low.. to reprimand or not to reprimand.. I know its a tough question but that's what you guys are for, right? :)

pepperannrocks

Asked by pepperannrocks at 9:54 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No you should not be satisfied. However nagging is no way to address this problem. Require that he earn good grades if he wants to enjoy any privileges. Do not get involved in his individual classes or assignments, but do ensure that he has the tools and training to manage his workload.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 9:57 AM on May. 13, 2010

• C would be the limit for me as long as he is passing I am fine school has changed from back when so continue to remind him but don't b so hard on him you don't want him to loose complete interest in school C and no less. This reminds me of a lady I once knew she was going to school to become an LVN she studied her but off and passed with an A she was telling me that there was another lady for going for the same field and she received a C she said it made her feel like why did I bust my butt to get that A when this person who only got a C is in the same with me. We never could figure that out but I told her hey at least you have a better grade than her.. Just an example I thought I'd share. GL Your son wll be fine just keep up the good work MOM ;)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:59 AM on May. 13, 2010

• It really depends on you expectations. I wouldn't be happy with a C average. You really want him to pull it together and make the best grades possible during high school so that he can go to what ever college he wanted, and just to have better chances in life. I would think that if someone starts high school struggling to keep up, they're much less likely to graduate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 13, 2010

• If he was trying his hardest and still only making a c I probably wouldnt be that upset but if he is making one b/c of not doing his work and not trying then I would be.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:06 AM on May. 13, 2010

• He is not doing the work,, that is different than not being ABLE to do the work,, if you don't nip this in the bud,, high school is going to be a nightmare.. You have to keep on him,, I would check into a tutor and communicate with his teachers about homework etc,,, UGG boys, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Just remember that you can nag, scream, beg, plead, rant, and rave, but it his choice to do the work and turn it in. At some point the child has to take the consequences for their actions. If this means he doesn't qualify for the honors courses in HS, so be it. HE has to figure this out. We cannot hold their hands forever. He has made the choice to not turn things in.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:14 AM on May. 13, 2010

• No! A "C" average is really getting to below average, and if you don't do anything about it, you will start seeing the "D"s and "F"s. My son is bringing home "D"s, and he actually feel this is good. He is very lazy too, but recently I took out the computer and internet, we'll see if those grades pick up now. Only you know what your son can and cannot do, stay on him, let him know that this is unacceptable. Tell him you know he can do better than a "C".
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:49 AM on May. 13, 2010

• No, no, and no, you shouldn't be satisfied with a c!!!!!!! this won't get him a scholarship or get him in college, demand he do better, reprimand away!

Answer by older at 3:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• as a C is not the best grade, if he is trying and trying and this is still what he brings maybe he needs some extra tutoring?? But atleast he isnt failing! I dont agree with a lot of others but You should talk to him, talk to the school about some extra help they may offer. The thing is you can yell all you want at him, its not going to make a difference. He needs to get those grades up, you cant sit with him in school. All you can do is try and get the correct placements in to help him. If he doesnt do it then IDK...he will fail, let him know that. Let him know he needs better grades to get in to college. He may not care seeing how he is a teen age kid! But dont be so hard on him for a C. Its not a D or a F!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 6:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Ask him why he does poorly in school. Ask him what his plans are for after high school, and how education fits into those plans.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 PM on May. 13, 2010