Ever feel invisible?

I've been a stay-at-home mom for 3 years now. It's been great spending time with the kids and having time to do things around the house that I didn't have time to do when I was working. I have a bachelor's degree and have worked in some high stress positions, but three years ago I became very ill and had to go through 2 surgeries within 1 month. I had my gallbladder removed and 2 kidney stones extracted. At that time my husband and I decided that it was best if I stay home and recover for a while.
I have a 4 year old and a nine year old girl. They keep me very busy, but lately it feels like everyone in the house is ignoring me when I talk, that includes my husband. I feel like because I don't have work topics anymore that what I have to say is not important enough for him to listen. I think my kids are seeing this and deciding they don't need to listen to me either. It's becoming very frustrating.

bappur3

Asked by bappur3 at 10:00 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Don't blame yourself. They are being rude to you by not listening. It doesn't matter ..even if you had a Masters or a PhD, some people will be so involved with themselves they don't listen. You are being too hard on yourself. YOU are not invisible even if you feel that way. I have been though it too...and I am in my 60's and now my grown up daughters are like that. They are involved with themselves. It is annoying but no big deal. Find people who will listen!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:06 AM on May. 13, 2010

• So sorry you feel like this. If it were me, i'm such a smart ass i would probably just stop talking. When someone asked me why, i would reply with "well, no one listens to me anyway, so why waste my breath?" lol
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:47 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Thanks! I'm not usually a person that feels sorry for herself. Maybe I'm PMSing, but I just feel so sad lately and realized that I don't really have any close friends to talk to. Thanks for listening! :)
    bappur3

Answer by bappur3 at 11:15 AM on May. 13, 2010

• All the time. Like inkydorei said, I just stop talking to DH and have gone "on strike" when it comes to housework. I will clean up after myself and my son, but DH can do his own!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:22 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I have been home for 8 years. I have felt this way more than once. I feel that all I have to talk about is my eldest's therapy or my 2 year olds potty training. Lol and I feel like everyone just talks over me, or they just pause and look at me and they resume their conversation. Perhaps a hobby would do you (and me) some good!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:01 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Don't feel bad i get that at my house too ! I have a almost 4 year old and a two year old and while i know toddlers don't listen all the time but once in a while would be nice but my husbad dosen't so they think they don't have to either i guess. If you want to chat feel free to message me.I stay at home too by the way.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:22 PM on May. 14, 2010