They don't sleep long enough!

my boys are 4 and 2. They typically wake up around 8 or so every morning, which is totally fine- then they take about 1-2 hour naps in the afternoon, and they're in bed by 9ish.

Lately they've been gettin all crazy. They aren't going to sleep until 10 or 11 (sometimes even later!!) and waking up betweene 4-6 am...and while my 2 year old still naps, my 4 year old rarely does. I wouldn't mind, but they've been excessively WHINEY all the time. When they wake up at 4 and 5 in the AM, I usually make them go back to bed. Sometimes they'll go back to sleep until 10 or 11 in the morning! I'm positive they aren't getting enough sleep! Suggestions?
Oh and just as a side note, they sleep in separate rooms. When they slept in the SAME room they would sleep, on average, 3 hours a night. It was awful!! They kept each other awake.

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 10:28 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ugh! I feel your pain! my kids are very close to that age (4 and almost 3)

mine have given up naps, even though I wish the young one still would, she keeps falling asleep on the couch after dinner!

When they get excessively whinny, I make them go sit on their beds. The young one normally falls asleep when I do this.

I have gotten them to sleep a little later in the morning by doing "bed time snack" something carbs and some milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I remember with my ds, it was harder in the summer....the sun woke him up, and he didn't want to start settling down in the evening because he might miss something, until well after dark....
    So, can you make their rooms darker? Room darkening shades.
    And plan only boring stuff after dinner....sit/ read/ color/ quiet activities....

You will have to decide what you want...family time in the evening, letting them stay up later....or quiet time in the evening (and they will get up earlier!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on May. 13, 2010