Healthcare Law will only allow "healthy foods" advertised

Another goody in the healthcare bill will allow the government to gradually stop all child geared food advertisements? The government will be able to tell the manufacturers what they can advertise. No more Fast food or fast food restaraunt, candy, chips or generally anything the government thinks is "unhealthy" will be allowed on TV. I know there will be some who don't care or will think it's a good thing but how can you be for the government telling you that you cannot advertise your product? Thats just WRONG.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:00 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anyone else smell a media bailout? When those big advertising dollars aren't allowed to be made by networks I wonder what sort of impact it will have on their bottom line. I think there are some networks that now almost solely depend on advertising dollars.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:02 AM on May. 13, 2010

• LOL, will this mean the death of NBC?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on May. 13, 2010

• well I bet if it wasnt the government saying this...it would not be a problem...

and I do not think that they should beable to advertise unhealthy stuff, need it be junk food, ciggerettes, etc.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:04 AM on May. 13, 2010

• We don't eat fast food, we don't eat processed crap and take care of our bodies. I still think the Government swooping in and controlling yet one more thing is wrong.   Advertisements do not make a child fat.  Parents feeding their children crap daily and not making sure they get proper exercise is the problem.  If a parent is so weak they cannot say no to their kid nothing is going to help that parent including big brother government. 

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:08 AM on May. 13, 2010

• If your product are bad for your health, I see it as a good thing that has been long overdue, the overweight epidemic in this country is outrageous, obviously our people do not have the common sense to stop consuming these things which have no nutritional value, this is why the govt has to do something. The ads that bombard our children with these products need to stop.
    I also agree with glamomomo!

Answer by older at 11:09 AM on May. 13, 2010

You are partially right. If it were the networks saying that they won't advertise unhealthy products on THEIR network, then the decision is really up to them and advertisers could choose to advertise elsewhere on different networks. Government thinks you are too stupid to ignore advertisements or that you don't have the intestinal fortitude to tell your child NO to sugary snacks and foods. So I guess you are okay with the government undermining your parenting style, assuming you even have one.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 13, 2010

• anon, Government thinks you are too stupid to ignore advertisements or that you don't have the intestinal fortitude to tell your child NO to sugary snacks and foods. So I guess you are okay with the government undermining your parenting style, assuming you even have one.

The overweight epidemic in this country proves that some parents need help in that dept.

Answer by older at 11:12 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I'm taking an excerpt from the text of Harry S Truman's 1948 inaugural address..................

Communism is based on the belief that man is so weak and inadequate that he is unable to govern himself, and therefore requires the rule of strong masters.

Democracy is based on the conviction that man has the moral and intellectual capacity as well as the inalienable right, to govern himself with reason and justice.

By these definitions, does that mean we're headed toward communism?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Just the government kicking themselves in the ass again. Don't they know that these stations stay alive through the commercial time that is bought by these so called bad influence companies? There ae a whole heck of a lot of commercials that will not be allowed that are shown today. This will put people in the media and advertising business out of jobs. What can they advertise that they don't already advertise? All it is is lost jobs.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:15 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Uh, have you seen our representatives, Older? Barney Frank isn't the pillar of healthy living now, is he? isn't it hypocritical for our unhealthy population of elected officials to be determining what YOU eat? I guess some of you are ok with hypocritical thinking though. It shows every day here. And before you try to report me for calling names, I never called YOU anything but your name.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 13, 2010