My 5-year old daughter has had vaginal itching issues for the past year.

I have talked to the doctor and she recommended vagasil ointment for the outside as well as using a perfume/dye-free soap to wash her body. However, this is a recurring issue and we just don't know what to do. I get so frustrated when she is constantly touching herself down there and then denies that she itches. I don't think she wipes well after using the bathroom, but I can't monitor that all of the time. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I had the same problem when I was little. Do you give her baths all the time? If so try giving her a shower instead.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:14 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Try changing your laundry detergent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Oh and my mom gave me vinegar baths. That always helped.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:15 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I know the doctor said to switch her body soap to a dye-free; perfume free, and that's a start. However I would do the same with ALL soups, including laundry soups; dryer sheets, etc. My daughter who is now 8 had a similar issue starting at about 5. As soon as we switched ALL of our soaps, cleaner, (especially the laundry and body soaps); she got better. Also we make sure she has a cup of yogurt every day.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:16 AM on May. 13, 2010

• soaps NOT soups! LOL sorry for the typos LOL
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:17 AM on May. 13, 2010

• get her those wet wipes for cleaning after using the toilet. make sure she's washing her hands after peeing/pooping. She also may be irritating her vulval area by masterbating. just throwing ideas out there,no offense!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 13, 2010

• What dye free-perfume free detergent are you using? We use ALL Free Clear for the laundry. I'm trying to remember what we use for body. It's a green bar, and we are out, so I can't remember the name right now. I buy it at walmart.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:24 AM on May. 13, 2010

• I hope it's not this, but you should research just in case. Lichen Sclerosis

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Maybe replace toilet paper with flushable wet wipes and explain to her about proper wiping. My 2 1/2 yo was sticking her hands in her pants all day one day, and I discovered when I bathed her that she had a wad of toilet paper left behind from improper wiping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Ouch vagisil hurts! My daughter used to get itching to and her doctor said to use regular A&D ointment like you use for a baby. It works just fine.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:46 AM on May. 13, 2010