Why are only the premium jobs full time?

Around the Kansas City, Lawrence, Leavenworth, and Topeka (KS) area, the entry level jobs are only part time. Only the premium jobs are full time. I have been laid off since November, and I'm still looking for a steady income. My last job at Dillon's grocery in Topeka lowered my hours to only 16 hours in the third week. I went to HR and got a snippy answer of "I cannot guarantee any hours". I only lasted three weeks since I was driving from Leavenworth to Topeka. They hired plenty of people without any promise of any hours. How can Dillon's do this (not legally speaking but morally)?

Side note- I have cut down majority of my expenses, including moving to a smaller place, giving away my beloved dog, and discontinuing internet connection (I'm using internet at the library).

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Frustrated to the Max

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• You have to look at it from a business stand point. If you are entry level you are replaceable, most likely not as committed (not you personally but in general), if they can get away with only having you there part time there is a whole bunch of benefits they dont have to pay for... it is a financially sound business decision... it is NOT personal.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on May. 13, 2010

• that sux! Yeah I am looking for work too and its hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 13, 2010

• Jobs are not the way to security, having you own business is. recession will always go up and down till the end of time. if you want to change your security level check our company out http://www.dreamcatcher.buildlastingsuccess.com

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:05 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I agree with first anon. It's from a cost perspective. Jobs that require trining and benefits are expensive for a business. You want to find employees that are going to stick around and provide a return on your investment.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Most service industry job (which working at a grocery store would fall in that category) employers only want part time (or less) employees. Part time employees cost a company less : they do not have to pay out benies, they insurance (the companies insurance not health insurance) are less, less time/money training, and they do not have to guarantee or give hours to a part time employee. Not only are service industry jobs more likely to be part time or less, they are also the lowest pay scale jobs as well.

Your best bet if you want steady hours, good pay, and possible benefits is to get out of the service industry and find a career that has more potential and stability.

Good Luck :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:57 PM on May. 13, 2010

• This is true with a lot of retailers, but not ALL retailers. I used to work at Walgreens and anyone who wanted to work full-time could get full-time (if they were hiring of course). Anyone who worked more than 32 hours/week received health benefits also. There are full and part time employees in all of the stores, but most of the time the part time employees are part time by their own choice (sometimes it was because they weren't good employees). So there are companies that will not only hire you full time, but will give you benefits happily too. One thing to consider though, is that sometimes you have to take the good with the bad....Walgreens is open 365 days a year, so the employees have to work all the holidays too.
    Anonymous

• The unemployement office likely offers classes in marketable job skills.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 PM on May. 13, 2010