Are prices better at the PX?

I know you don't pay sales tax, but have you found the prices at the PX to be better than the local grocery store?

nkkk07

Asked by nkkk07 at 11:58 AM on May. 13, 2010 in Shopping

• it really depends on the department! Electronics always seem to be more expensive unless it's on sale. Furniture however, is a great thing to get at the PX! I personally don't like their kid brands but sometimes they have Adidas jumpsuits or outfits for half the price! Just shop around and you can see a difference!
    Also, WalMart is the same price as the Commissary (here in Alaska) and their veggies/fruits stay longer than the commissary's fruits/veggies and sometimes bread! I can't tell you how many times we've boughten food and the next day it's all moldy!!! Just watch and check everything because sometimes it's the worst place to get stuff.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• It also depends on where you are stationed! When we were in Hawaii the PX and commissary were WAY cheaper than anywhere else on pretty much everything, and that included Wal-Mart and K-Mart.

Anonymous

• I am in Kansas and there are not too many things I will buy at the PX. Yes they make it look great because you don't pay taxes, but most of their stuff is way over priced. The one thing I do like to buy there is their brand of diapers. They work great and are good on my son's skin and they are super cheap. But for anything else, i'd go to Wal mart.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 1:13 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I'm not military, but I take my 80 year old mother to the base occasionally. I compare the prices with what I pay for my own groceries at Winco or Walamart and the base is often much higher. Some things look less expensive, but I don't see that it's worth the trip out to the base for her anymore. In the no foods part though I see much cheaper prices on higher end clothing items, bags, shoes and jewelry. She's bough a couple Coach bags out there for birthday presents for me. NICE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 AM on May. 23, 2010