Can someone answer this question for me?

Why is it that lazy people who don't work hard for the things they have are able to receive assistance on food and childcare expenses, yet the ones who do are usually denied because they "make too much"? I don't want to offend anyone, so let me be clear that I know this isn't ALWAYS the case.

I am just frustrated because we have really been struggling for the past couple of months. Unexpected expenses just keeping popping up every time we turn around and we are left with practically nothing. So, for the first time in my life, I decided to apply for help to see if I could get it, and NOPE. Apparently we make $38 over the limit. A measly $38!! God forbid we ever have an emergency arise because we would have nothing to back us up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• yep we make to much.. we go atleast 2 weeks out of the month were just the kids can eat. the only time i got it was when me and my hubby divorced and i was only getting enough child suport to pay the electric bill... kinda sad.. but yet the lazy people like my sis in law..her hubby doesnt work at just sits home playin video games and they smoke weed everyday but yet they get like 500 a month..kinda pisses me off..they have money to buy games and drugs ..i aint got money to do that so im pissed..thats why im all for the gov't testing recipients for drugs..
    Anonymous

• I completely understand. I tried to get WIC when my son was small, and was denied because I was $4 over the limit. Meanwhile, my neighbors were paid under the table (when they bothered to work) and received complete pa on top of it. Argh!

If you pay for child care, see if they would be willing to subtract that from your income, then you might be eligible.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 10:34 AM on May. 14, 2010

• well, my dh makes too much for us to qualify too....i don't work but i'm not lazy sometimes ppl can't work b/c of disabilities and are waiting on assistance with that (me)
    Anonymous

• Yea, like I said.. it's not always the case and I know that. My mother is also unable to work so I understand trust me. But I do know of people who choose not to work and are still able to receive this help. it baffles me
    Anonymous

• im anon:39 and just to say i also work.. so its sad.. they deny us because our bills still outweigh our income..
    mommy2ys

Answer by mommy2ys at 12:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I don't so much care about the food stamp thing, but I do get frustrated at times. My best friend, who lost everything do to stupidity and getting into all these "get rich quick" scams, recently filed bankruptcy. She gets all kinds of assistance. But one day I went over there and there was a work crew at her home. She qualified for some kind of energy makeover where they come to you house and replace you old furnce, water heater, windows, and insulated the walls and attic. Here my hubby works hard and we struggle to get by. We are freezing in our under insulated house and can't aford to fix it. But she got it all for free. I can't imagine how much that cost the city. And yes I am jealous, I can see why some people want to live off the system.
    Anonymous

• My friend made roughly $30 over the limit and was denied. Her unemployment checks did not even cover her rent, but that didn't matter. She rec'd no assistance and had to borrow money to pay her rent, buy food etc...
    The system should look at other criteria and not just what the dollar limit is.
    Anonymous