FL VBAC ban?

The state of Florida has banned VBAC performed by midwives in birthing centers. This does not apply to homebirthing VBAC's with a certified midwife. The law states that birthing centers participating in a national VBAC study can perform VBAC's but the study has been closed for the past 7 years! So, as it stands, if a woman wants to have a VBAC she must either do so at home or attempt to find a doctor and hospital that support a trial of labor after previous ceserean. I've found that many hospitals have bans on VBAC in FL and if they don't the restrictions are so severe that a woman would be confined to her bed for the entirety of the labor and given pitocin after a certain amount of hours, which is proven to put more stress on the uterus with unnatural contractions and is not recommended for VBAC'ing women. Or there are simply no doctors in the area that provide VBAC care.
What can we do to change this?

momofkearra

Asked by momofkearra at 12:21 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Health

• You can change it by not letting them perform a c-section!! Say NO! No one can force a woman into surgery. Arkansas also has a "ban" on VBAC's. However, if you are in active labor a hospital can not turn you away and can NOT force a woman to have a c-section.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:26 PM on May. 13, 2010

• wow. thats a tough one.... All I could suggest would be if u live close to the state border find a place there..... sorry i'm no help. GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:28 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I should add that they can not confine you to your bed and they can't give you any medicine without your permission.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:34 PM on May. 13, 2010

• MOVE!!! That's archaic!!

Anonymous

• I have NEVER heard of that. My daughter tried a VBAC with complete support from her Doctor and the staff in South Carolina and the same goes for hospitals in Minnesota.
    This COULD be a rumor. I wouldn't be surprised.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:21 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Oh...as far as refusing a C-section? Unless you have a MEdical degree, I wouldn't do that. If my daughter had refused, her son would have died in utero. Think about it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:22 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Gertie- about half of c-sections are unnecessary.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:22 PM on May. 13, 2010