If you applied for a new job and your former employer refused to give you a reference and wouldn't release your work history without making everyone jump through ludicris hoops (despite the fact that you were a good employee) what would you do?

My former employer has this policy about not releasing work history unless it is a faxed written request with my signature on it. So the prospective new employer would have to get the form from them, fill it out, bring me in to sign it, then fax it to them in order to confirm that I worked there and what my salary was. I feel like employers are passing me up because it's too hard to verify my work history and because my references are non responsive (I have good reason to believe that this is why, a current prospective employer keeps asking me if that company is still in business!).

What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That's not your concern. All you have to do is give your hopefully new employer your history and when they check your reference, they get to deal with them.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:59 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yeah, but it is my problem if I am missing out on employment opportunities because it is too hard to verify my work history.
    Anonymous

• I would go to a Staples or somewhere where I could send and receive a fax, fax the form myself and obtain the information needed. I would then photocopy it and save a draft for myself.

All you need is one copy of your employment history. Make copies and attach it to your resume.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• It's not hard. I fill those out for former employees. Former employers are only required to release your work dates. Many companies have those policies because of lawsuits. They aren't obligated to give you a reference. It's always best to ask for one before you leave.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• i'd write the letter of references (a universal one) by myself, hand it to my former supervisor and ask him/her to sign. it would include all the information needed for any future job reference and i'd send it upon request to any potential employer on my own.
    Anonymous

• I've had to do that. I just made sure to hound the previous employer until they got it done.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:33 PM on May. 13, 2010