Stuttering...

Kiwi just turned 5 mid-February. For a while now, she's been sort of stuttering. I guess that's what you would call it, I'm not sure exactly. When she is excited, tired or in a hurry, she repeats the first word of her sentence several times before continuing with the rest of the sentence. Her doctor said she would grow out of it, and if she's still doing it when she starts kindergarten in the fall they will most likely put her in speech therapy. I was just wondering if other moms have experienced this with their kids. She said her first word at around 3.5 to four months old, and has been talking steadily since about 6 months, but this didn't start until she was around 4 and a half.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 1:06 PM on May. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• All my children stuttered at this age. Their mouth can't speak as fast as their minds work. Just remind her to slow down and think about what she wants to say.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:20 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Maybe just give her eye contact and smile, hold her hand, try to give her calming feelings. They get SO excited they can't spurt it all out fast enough! :)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:10 PM on May. 13, 2010

• She sometimes stops, taps her finger on her temple and says "gotta think about it" because we have told her to pause and think, trying to get her to calm down a little. After thinking about it, she will usually repeat the first word about half as much.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:14 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My 5 year old does the same thing. I just tell him to slow down:) I think they will grow out of it.
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 1:48 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My niece has been to a Dr for the same thing. They told my brother and sis-in-law the same as your Dr.
    1. She will probably grow out of it.
    2. dont make her feel weird about it, like finishing her sentence for her or whatever.
    3. remind her to slow down when talking.
    she is 5 yrs. old and it only happens when she is imbaressed/nervous or super excited about what she is trying to say.
    Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 14, 2010