re-using baby food

My LO just starting eating solids about a week ago. We "graduated" the rice cereal and yesterday and today we're on avocados. I have been making too much per feeding. I guess I dont have that eye yet.
My question is, is it ok to save and re-use the leftovers? Today we have about half of the bowl of food left (avocado mixed with a little rice cereal and breast milk).

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 1:16 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It would be best if you take what you make, and split it into 2-3 portions BEFORE feeding. That way, you can always add more, and save what is unused. The concern is that the bacteria from her saliva gets into the food and "contaminates" it, which is why it is recommended to throw away unused food. But, if the unused food has not been touched by the spoon (by setting portions aside before feeding) then it is safe to save.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:33 PM on May. 13, 2010

• yeah, what she ^ said lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:36 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Avacado you could re use..Rice cereal isnt supposed to be re used or refridgerated i believe,,
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:59 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I "third" Krysta622. It's not worth the risk of her getting sick from something with bacterial overgrowth. Take less than you think she will eat; you can always warm up more if you have it readily made. Stick the rest in the fridge and use it within a day or so. You can also freeze homemade baby food in ice cube trays or buy cubes, which is nice. I did both, and stuck the cubes in big freezer bags labeled with what the food was. Now I use the same technique for making veggie purees to add to recipes to keep the nutrient content up.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:09 AM on May. 16, 2010