21 years old & no work experience.. where do i start?

i've been a SAHM since i was 17 & taking care of my children was my only priority. i have a GED & completed one semester of college, but now i think i really need to find work to help support my 3 children but i don't know where to start. will i need a resume and if i do, what do i put on it since i have zero experience other than being a mother. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• You need to start by getting some skills. Go to a community college, and learn Microsoft office softwares, especially Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint. A basic bookkeeping class, that teaches Quickbooks and Peachtree would be very useful, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 PM on May. 13, 2010

• i think you should really try and finish school, atleast get an associates degree so that you have something. but if not, why dont you try being a bank teller? besides that, you might be stuck waitressing, or working at a supermarket. you need to get some experience under your belt or a degree before you can start thinking career.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• actually now that im thinking, you should really check into the opportunitys available at your local community college. at my college, they have a daycare right on campus, they also offer student employment at the bookstore and things like that, and you can get basically all the costs for school paid for by financial aid. so you could go to school & get a degree, while getting work experience, and have daycare right there if needed.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I suggest finishing school.
    Anonymous

• If you can cook,clean and organize then those come in handy for a lot of jobs. You just need to figure out how to sell yourself. Good Luck!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:05 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I hope you do find a job soon. There are some ways to make extra money while you look, that dont involve selling or buying anything. I know you're desperate but don't get sucked into some scam that's asking for money, no matter what. There's a list of free work at home jobs that I have used at Free Paypal Money

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 5:12 PM on May. 13, 2010

• And remember, SAHMs have lots of skills that employers value, like time management, logistics, budgeting,etc. Chances are, you have done some volunteer work that you can put on your resume.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 PM on May. 13, 2010

• in this economy? GOOD LUCK! I'm 21, with 5 years of experience. I've been unemployed for over a year. I have one infant. I can't even find domestic work! And I've been a babysitter and a nanny. As well as running a sandwich shop and working in retail. Nobody calls me for an interview. It's either the job history or because they just don't have time to interview everyone. It's tough out there.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 1:50 AM on May. 14, 2010