When going on a weekend trip visiting family what do you pack?

I am going out of town for the weekend just me to c family but want to travel light. I haven't flown in 10 yrs. (feeling a tad nervous) Do u take stuff like just incase they don't have it or assume they do.
Be specific if u don't mind. thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Travel

• bring enough clothes & some extras, shampoo/conditioner/soap, deodorant, extra shoes, toothbrush/paste, hair brush, & enough money to cover food & miscellaneous expenses. oh! & a gift for the family =)
    Anonymous

• The thing I found easiest in remembering, was writing down everything I used for a couple days, from the time I got up and got dressed, brushed, ect... to when I went to bed. Then I wrote down other stuff, such as sunscreen, books, and such. Luckily for me, I don't use any makeup or anything like that, so I only needed a brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, deodorant, and clothes. If you are flying, make sure to look on the airline's website about what's not allowed to be carried on, and if they are one of the airlines that are charging fees to check bags or bring carry on bags. You will need gum to help with ear popping, and something to keep you occupied like a book or a few good magazines. If you take any medications, make sure you have enough for the amount of time you'll be there with a few extra in case something happens plus otc stuff for headache/allergies if you have them. Have fun!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:12 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I figure wherever I go, if they don't have it and I forgot to pack it, there's a Walmart or Target nearby and I can just pick up what I need there. I typically don't pack shampoo, soap, or lotion if I'm going to my parents' or in-laws. I just use theirs. I pack conditioner, hair gel, toothbrush and paste, make-up, deoderant, comb, ponytail holders, clothes, shoes, enough diapers for traveling and then buy when we get there, my daughter's soap, wipes, clothes for her, the wrap, a few toys, a light blanket for her, a book or magazine for me, my vitamins, face moisturizer. I think that's it. Sunblock if it's summer. I tend to wear slip on shoes when flying to make it easier to go through security. Especially with a little one.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Too much. We go on two day trips a lot, and we tend to pack heavy. I have a checklist that I print out every time we leave, so I don't forget anything. I also have doubles of everything so I keep a toiletry bag packed all the time so it's ready for whenever we go somewhere. The stuff I tend to forget is sunblock, vitamins, etc, so the list helps.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:19 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Oh, and cell phone and camera chargers. I once got to an amusement park and realized my camera battery was dead.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:20 PM on May. 15, 2010