do you think its ever too late to speak up about being abused?

and when i say speak up..i'm talking about going to law enforcement. is it too late if you don't tell right away? What if you hide it for years and then decide to tell, should they do anything to the abuser then?

and i know this has nothing to do with religion but what do you believe or know about this?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 1:55 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• it wouldnt hurt to say anything. if they say theres nothing u can do, then you wont be in any different situation than u would be if u didnt tell, kwim?
    Anonymous

• Speaking out would releive anxiety and stress over it, isn't this the same thing that happened to all those children abused by priests? They came out much later in life to accuse.

Answer by older at 2:03 PM on May. 13, 2010

• CDV- if you don't file a report @ the time of incident, and can not substantiate the claim w/ medical records... nothing you can do.

Sexual abuse can always be dealt with, but is hard to prove.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:03 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If it has been years and others have come forward like you but they couldn't do anything about it, it would be one more thing to build a case on. At least say something, you never know. Is it that you want to get them caught or justice brought forth, or is it that you need closure and healing? You can tell law enforcement and def. get counseling for it!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• i know its not likely anything would happen..my only worries would be..what if they are doing it to others. I know i was manipulated by certain men that were far older than me when i was young...and at the time i thought it was okay..because i was being brainwashed by them...but now looking back at it, what if they are still doing that to girls. I think i turned out okay in the end but what if some girls arent so lucky.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:10 PM on May. 13, 2010

• No it's not too late. Most times when one speaks up others follow. At least a warning would be out there.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:16 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Its never too late. Even if nothing is done at least you found your voice and stood up for yourself to get justice.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2010

• It's not to late to speak up. The statue of limitations maybe up, and therefore law enforcement won't get involved, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:56 PM on May. 13, 2010

• i was sexually abused for a year when i was 9 and my mom knew about it and in exchanged the guy would pay her.
    last year when i decided to tell my boyfriend about it he begged me to tell the police and get help
    so i did, they denied the case because it was years after and no evidence.
    but it doesn't hurt try and start healing hopefully everything works out for you.
    oct1710

Answer by oct1710 at 2:58 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I really do not know, but if it is too late to have anything done here on earth. There is one who will judge your abuser, and avenge all the hurt they have put you through. I too have been hurt. It is a hard thing to live with, but we must understand that when we forgive we will also be forgiven of all of our wrongs. (Not implying that anything you have done is like the wrong done to you.) I have held on to hate, and resentment for years of those who harmed me. Did it do any good? I'll tell you right now it did not. It sat there in my heart and ate at it, until I had no love left for anything including myself. I always considered it a spiritual cancer that was killing me where it meant the most. Eventually it almost killed me, but Yahweh came to me and said, "It is not too late." And by doing so he gave me hope, love, joy, and forgiveness! And he showed me the truth about himself, and the world, and everything in it. continue.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 4:09 PM on May. 13, 2010