any tips for taking care for a 2yr old boy and a newborn?

I am expecting in January. I was thinking that some of you moms could give me your advices on how to better care for a newborn and a very active almost 2 yr old boy at the same time.
Were there any purchases really handy for as to care for the second child of having which you have not thought before with the first? What would these be?
Was it a must to send the 2 yrs old to a daycare or arranging a care of him/her or were you able to take care for the two children basically on your own (as with the first baby)?
thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a 3 week old and a child that will be 3 in August. It's going far better than I expected.
    Just make sure not to leave the older child out. And never make the baby seem more important.
    I try very hard to keep the older one involved. He runs diapers to the garbage, brings me baby wipes. When I nurse the baby the older one gets a snuggle and a story.
    Anonymous

• My sons are 22 months apart. The first few months can be hard but it is manageable. Your house may not be as picked up as you are used to and that type of thing but is what I did was to make sure that when the newborn was napping I did one on one activities with my older son. We would also all load up in the stroller and go on walks that type of thing. The best thing I used with my youngest that I never did with my oldest was a bouncy seat. It allowed me to be able to play with the toddler and still have my newborn in sight and at an easy reach. Now they are 4 and 6 and they are always playing together. You will do just fine!
    Anonymous

• If you aren't opposed a sling is a great investment....I love ring slings. If you are BF'ing you can nurse baby while you play with older brother/cook dinner/read stories, etc.
    bensmum25

Answer by bensmum25 at 3:42 PM on May. 13, 2010

• my ds was 17 months the day my dd was born. i had a csection and the 1 day i was home my 17month old busted his chin open. my dd was on a heart monitor and it beeped and he slipped and hit the tub at the same time. all i can say is for the first few days have help. once you get used to it you'll do fine. my son is very proctective of his sister which is nice now because he watches out for her. also have patience
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 3:52 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I have a four week old and a 22mo. old, it's not as hard as I was expecting it to be but it is a bit harder. I've noticed so far that dinners need to be able to be cooked in thirty minutes or less, as long as everything is picked up so no one can get hurt that you'll just have to live with a fine layer of dust on everything, try and get your older one as involved as possible my older son can't really go fetch things for me but if I drop something he can pick it up for me or he can sing and talk to the baby while I change a diaper. As for the daycare thing, if you have a spouse or a friend who is willing to be involved and play with the older one for maybe thirty minutes to an hour a day or even just everyother day you shouldn't need it. But if you're a single mom with absolutely no help I think it would be in your best intrest to sign him up for two or three mornings out of the week.
    Anonymous

• Send the 2 yr old to daycare? Seriously? Ok, hon get a grip! You are not the first to reproduce or have more than one child, it has been done before. Just get organized! Don't be scared, it will be fine. I have way more than 2 and I lived!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 14, 2010