Is this the usual practice?

My fiance' and I are selling our home. We have a real estate agent who is in charge of the property and she has all of our contact information. The real estate company she works for also has all of our contact information. Therefore, there would be NO reason why they could not contact us.

Now, I was in my home, cleaning my house, when a woman who told me she was a real estate agent came knocking at my door. She informed me that she had a client that wanted to look at the house and introduced me to the other woman who was with her. I told them I had not gotten a phone call regarding a visit but would get in contact with my agent and my fiance' to see if something had been set up. Well, the agent at my door got upset and told me that she had an appointment to show the home and I told her I needed to double check.

Mina2904

Asked by Mina2904 at 1:56 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well, she gets nasty with me, telling me that its not her problem that I don't want my house to be seen because she made the appointment with her client. I told her that it was not the case because all I wanted to do was verify with my fiance' or with our agent that an appointment was made. It would have only taken me 2 minutes to call either of them and verify it. Well, the client is going off about how I don't want to sell my home and the agent is informing me that she will be getting in contact with someone to drop the contract on our house because I "didn't want to sell". The thing is that after the two of them left in a huff, I called the agent and she told me that she hadn't cleared any appointment. My fiance' also told me he knew nothing about an appointment. I called the real estate office and they informed me that they knew nothing about another agent stopping by to show the house and that there was nothing on their c
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 1:56 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Good for you. For all you know, with there not being an appointment scheduled, that could have been someone casing your house to come back and rob you. You can't be too careful. If the realtor had a legitimate appointment she wouldn't have gotten so rude and bitchy with you. You did the right thing.
    Anonymous

• You did the right thing by not letting them in, did you get the supposed "real estate agent's" name to tell the agency.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 2:11 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Wow, thats scary. I'm glad you didnt let them in! A real estate agent would never get huffy about a client wanting to verify an appointment. Sounds like it was some sort of scam to me! I would contact the police and make a report.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:26 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Your agent or agent's office will ALWAYS contact you before they show the house. You were definitely in the right!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If I were the person looking to buy I'd first go looking for a new agent! Sounds to me as if that woman was less than honest. Just remember, anytime anyone refuses to take your NO for an answer and wants to either cajole, bribe or bully you into changing your mind, that person is out to control you. Whether it is a child, a parent, a spouse, a salesman, etc. When a man says NO that's the end of the conversation. When a woman says NO it is the beginning of a negotiation in most minds.

You did the absolute right thing! Even if what she said was true, it just seems she was trying a little TOO hard to get inside your house. Who knows what her real reasons were. I don't know that I wouldn't contact the police department--you never know. It may have been a ploy to get you inside to rob you, or worse.

If you have a lockbox on your door, I'd have it removed. Better safe than sorry. Hope you find a real buyer soon!
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 2:55 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Hey, ladies! OP here. Wanted to say thank you for the advice and here's a lil update:

I did manage to get the make, model, color, and year (plus the bumper stickers) of the car the two women were in and also got in contact with the police dept. I gave them a description of both of the women and they said that they will be looking out for them. My real estate agent stopped by to check on the kids and I and I mentioned the lockbox to her at SimplyLaine's suggestion. The lockbox is no longer on my door and my real estate agent is the only other person who has a key. I have been on contact with my fiance' and he is headed home from work at the moment so that we can double check the house and ensure that its secure. I am also going to be using our home security system at night when I go to bed just in case as well.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 3:17 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If your house is listed with a MLS, any real estate agency can show the property. Typically, the listing agency will have the lockbox number, but a different agency realtor can call and get the number (the agency usually verifies that they're legit). In this case, the client would set up a time with her/his realtor instead of your listing agency.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 3:27 PM on May. 13, 2010

• When we sold our house - it was also MLS listed, BUT because it was occupied even during the day (I'm a housewife/stay at home mom) it was required that the buyers agent make an appointment with me thru my sellers agent so that I could vacate the property for 30 minutes. Because my youngest son was 2½, we would only go out for 30 minutes and we never showed when he was napping.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:57 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I agree that you did the best thing by playing it safe here....but thought I'd share a funny little ironic story. We put our house on the market in February. 3 days after it was listed, I was inside, doing some cleaning and this real estate agent shows up in my driveway. She actually called me from my driveway to say she wanted to come in and see the house! I wasn't even dressed properly or anything, but I didn't want to blow a chance, so I told her okay. She came up to the door and gave me her card, then came in and looked everything over, said she had a client that she thought might be interested. She really liked the house, and she called a few hours later wanting to come by w/ her client. Long story short, they put an offer on the house the next day. 4 days after we listed it! So our no-appointment-show-up turned out to be a very good thing. We closed on April 2, lol.
    Good luck with yours!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:26 AM on May. 14, 2010