How do I dispose of a prescribed med thats no longer need

My hubby went to the doctors today and they changed his blood pressure med. well we just filled a 3 month script for him and now i don't know how to get rid of it safely. Thanks

dadysmony

Asked by dadysmony at 2:00 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Health

• you can either call your local waste management or contact your local pharmacy for info on where to take them.
    Anonymous

• I always flush mine...
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:05 PM on May. 13, 2010

• You should never flush them...it contaminates our rivers and water.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:09 PM on May. 13, 2010

• just toss them in the garbage or you can just let them sit in the cabinet for a few yrs.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:17 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I always flush mine...

GEEZZ, that's why all the US fish is loaded with medicine.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022809.html

cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 2:18 PM on May. 13, 2010

• From the FDA: Follow any specific disposal instructions on the drug label or patient information that accompanies the medication. Do not flush prescription drugs down the toilet unless this information specifically instructs you to do so.If no instructions are given, throw the drugs in the household trash, but first: Take them out of their original containers and mix them with an undesirable substance, such as used coffee grounds or kitty litter. The medication will be less appealing to children and pets, and unrecognizable to people who may intentionally go through your trash.Put them in a sealable bag, empty can, or other container to prevent the medication from leaking or breaking out of a garbage bag.
    Take advantage of community drug take-back programs that allow the public to bring unused drugs to a central location for proper disposal. Call your city or county government's household trash and recycling service
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 3:04 PM on May. 13, 2010

• The nursing home I used to work for always flushed old meds...but I think you can take them to your pharmacy and they can get rid of it for you or tell you how to do it.
    Anonymous

• I put water in the bottle with the meds so they get wet and melted and then toss them in the regular trash. They are no good at that point so I don't worry about it.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 3:27 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I always take mine to the pharmacy for safe disposal.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Call a local pharmacy. Most take old or unneeded medications back at no charge for safe disposal. By all means, please do not flush them. It contaminates our water supply.
    Anonymous