Tofu baby food?

I'm looking for finger food recipes that I can feed my one year old. He refuses to eat soft baby food and wants to eat with his fingers. I was wondering if there were sauces or something healthy I could soak it in or spread over it that could give him variety in taste. He's eating it plain now and seems to like it so far...

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 2:06 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL, my kids still like plain chunked tofu- you can drain it off, and soak it in any fruit juice you like. It's tasty that way too!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• NO tofu!!!
    http://www.optimumchoices.com/Soy.htm

You can give him just soft foods, like cooked carrots, rice, cheerios, etc. If he is one, he can eat things that aren't necessarily "squishy". Cheerios and gold fish and bread and whole wheat pancakes and peanut butter (with a drink!), baked apples, lasagna, etc are great! Sometimes can be messy, but kids are messy... comes with the territory!!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Soy has gotten a bad rap lately, because of the overuse by a few select individuals (like the idiot who used goldenseal to detox before a drug test back in 1991, and died- any good thing can be used inappropriately).

We eat soy, we like soy, soy is a good source of protein. Unless you are feeding your kid an almost all soy diet (like pumping them full of soy milk as their only fluid intake), then it's not a problem.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:10 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Stick with organic tofu, and no harm will come. My daughter loves tofu cubes dipped in soy sauce. Vegan Lunchbox has a fantastic recipe for tofu "fish" sticks.

Other good finger foods are baked sweet potato "fries", avocado, whole grain pasta, zucchini

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 PM on May. 13, 2010

• And meat eaters eat WAY more soy, through the animals they eat, than the average vegetarian...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on May. 13, 2010