Are you so dumb...

that you need a nanny government to tell you what to do and how to raise your kids?
that you are unable to decide what to eat, drink, or otherwise put into your body?
that you cannot make your own health care choices and must rely on the government to hold your hand?
that you can't so much as open a bank account, buy a house, or invest in the stock market without nanny government charging you money to define the risk?

Or, do you agree with this statement? Once government simply leaves Americans alone on these matters, responsibility for decisions about risk and vice and their consequences becomes limited to individual Americans. It’s only when government gets involved that the costs of risk are dispersed across the rest of the public.

dandydiane

Asked by dandydiane at 2:24 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not need anyone making my choices for me, or telling me how to live my life.

However, the majority of Americans are lazy & apathetic. It's EASIER to have someone else tell you what to think than to actually do the research & think for yourself, because that takes EFFORT. And most Americans would rather watch American Idol than give a damn about what's in the food their children eat.
    Apathy, laziness, consumerism, and selfishness will be the downfalls of this country.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• No, corporations destroy the environment and put cheap toxins in products when there is no government regulation. Study up on the first Reform Era of the late 1800s and then the Progressive Movement. Among other things these reforms helped get rotted meat & rat droppings from being packaged into food products (following the release of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle), and helped end the dangerous working conditions for men, women and children who were forced to toil away in factories for entire days just to be able to do it again the next day. When left with the "individual choice" corporations will always choose profit over people, and it should be the government's job to help the people. Why else do we pay taxes?
    Other fine examples of unregulated business would be the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. This is what happens when capitalism is unfettered.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:45 PM on May. 13, 2010

• :) love this
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:17 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Good question OP...
    For the record.. I am not that/this dumb. I like deciding for my family. I do not need some money grubbing political jackasses on the hill making my family decisions for me.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I agree. I still say if I want to eat twinkies and red bull all day it's my business. It's time for personal responsibility to be reborn
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 3:22 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Little, if individuals took responsibility for the choices they make, they wouldn't choose poor quality products and services. Especially processed foods. They would educate before they purchased. They would make their own, or only privde the best for their family. And only the best companies would survive the consumer selection of quality. But individuals don't take that responsibility and when something goes wrong they cry, "why isn't the government doing something". I ask, what is that dumb individual doing to account for their own personal responsibility and taking ownership for what they are doing for their family. We have evolved to a society of those who have become dependent on the government to make the choices so they don't have to. That is dumb
    dandydiane

Answer by dandydiane at 3:24 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I love having the government make all my decisions for me. What I eat, where I sleep, what activities I can do, what I can watch on TV, what books I can read. I also get great health care and free clothes!

Being in prison is great!
    Anonymous

• DOH,

good point :43
    Anonymous

• "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls who live under tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Love this quote.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:54 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I may make some wrong decisions in what I eat every now and then and I may like salt on my pizza but I still say I deserve to run my own life. I do not need nor want the government running my life or telling me how to take care of my family and thats that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:29 PM on May. 13, 2010