carb chart?

is there some kind of chart or matrix online where you can figure for your gender, weight, and height how many carbs you can safely have w/ diabetes daily? My husband was diagnosed recently and was told 45 carbs max daily but that seems very strange to me for a 6ft4 tall man. His primary doc agreed and told me to look online but I'm finding nothing. Help!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:42 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Health

• I've never based the carbs I eat on my height and weight. I base it on what my body can handle....and someone the same height and weight may e able toeat one food while I can't. But 45 is kinda low, but if your husband's numbers are high he may need to go light on the carbs until his blood glucose levels regulate.

What was his A1c?

The important thing is 2 hours after he eats a meal is to test. If he eats a slice of pizza and 2 hours later his reading is 180, then he shouldn't eat pizza....or he should modify it and use a low carb tortilla as a crust. One example is I can't eat mashed potatoes....i'm high everytime, but I can eat a large baked potato and my BG levels remain great. We all react differently to foods and it's a try and test in the beginning until you learn your bodies carb limitations.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:54 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Family or general doctors are not equipped to manage diabetes at all! He needs to see an Endocrinologist. That clinic will have a dietician who can guide him through this.

My daughter is 9 and she eats a ton, but is small. She is supposed to eat like 150-200g carb per day.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 3:09 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I think there is a chart at Live Strong website. Or you can just Google it. I found one last week but can't remember where it is. SOrry....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:18 PM on May. 13, 2010