Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

here's a question you've never been asked

my mom is illiterate and unable to learn. she is 61 years old. she has the exam coming up to become a US citizen. she cannot take it because of her learning disability. the immigration officer said she needs a letter from a doctor saying she has a learning disability. my question is....what kind of doctor does she need to see? neurologist? psychiatrist? psychologist? thank you, ladies.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (3)
  • Start with her general doctor. They will ask some questions to determine if she has a learning disorder, then send her to a specialist whom can diagnose the cause of her learning disorder.

    Answer by ABusyBee at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • She needs to go to a psychologist, they can referer her to testing for learning disabilities. Who knows maybe once they test her, they will find a way for her to learn.

    Answer by nurdreams at 2:52 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • Start with her primary care doctor, whoever she usually sees. Most others you need a referral to anyway. You should be able to call and ask, even just get a referral over the phone if the PC can't help.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on May. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.