Don't SAHMs realize that us working moms do EVERYTHING they do

PLUS hold down a job?

I work 32-40 hours a week at a c-store, and after scrubbing gas station bathrooms, I come home and have to scrub my own. Plus sweeping, moping, vacuuming, dusting...all while taking care of a 2yr old AND a 40yr old. Not to mention cooking dinner every night whether I'm here or not.

What gives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• THATS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING! They do not get it! I have done it all SAHM, working and most recently FT school. I had to quit school due to losing our sitter and looking for work but although I am depressed having to quit staying home is easy altho I do get tired of looking at walls! I know it depends how many kids you have and all that stuff but right now I just have a 2 yr old and the 5 and 6 yr old are at school. Yes when you work the house doesn't get as messy but you still have to clean, do laundry, run kids to their activites. ALL after a long day at work!
    Anonymous

• well unless you have your 2 yr old at the store with you all those 40 hours, you don't do everything a SAHM does. you juggle the gas station with the housework and a SAHM juggles raising a child with the housework. Plus u get to socialize with adults during those 40 hours and not have Elmo be your sole companion during the wk
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:52 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I'm sure they realize that and feel blessed to be SAHM's.

I work, go to school online, clean, take care of the kids,etc. It just goes with the territory of being mom. Husbands should help more LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:53 PM on May. 13, 2010

• i know you do everything we do, and more. you do what we do plus a full time job on top of it!
    for our family what would give would be...more take out and prepared food b/c i would not have time to cook from scratch, and that is not as healthy and usually costs more. we would also end up paying more in daycare than i would likely earn, b/c i have been out of the job market for so long. i would most likely not have been able to breast feed, b/c i was never successful with the pump.
    that is what would have given, had i worked rather than stayed home.
    i have a 40 yo to take care of too...isn't that the most ridiculous??????
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:56 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I agree with hibbingmom you don't do everything a sahm does. You don't have your kid with you all of the time, your around other adults, your out of the house, and not your not watching the same movie over and over again.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 2:57 PM on May. 13, 2010

• oh btw. I have done both things. Been a working mom and a stay at home mom. It's much easier to stay at home for me.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:58 PM on May. 13, 2010

• i agree that being a working mom is harder then being a stay at home moms as far as the physical part of it because you are tired from working a job, and then have to come home and handle a house and child too, so physically it is harder. but being a stay at home mom is mentally harder sometimes, because it is true that its really frustrating to be stuck in a house 24-7, watching nick jr all the time, having no one to socialize with whos not a baby/child.
    the grass is always greener on the other side. im currently looking for a job right now, because i feel like i would be so happy just to have a reason to leave the house everyday, and get a paycheck with my name on it.. but once i find the job, im gonna be like god dammit i cant handle this and wish i could quit my job. lol ....
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:01 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Is this really an argument worth having? Up until last Tues. I was a working mom, then I was laid off. I think both working and coming home to parent and being a SAHM are EQUALLY hard.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:01 PM on May. 13, 2010

• It IS tough for both working Moms and SAHM's, Just different. WHen I worked, it was not a picnic. It was stressful....Finance and accounting....a nasty boss, balancing accounts, dealing with vendors and people demanding their money,deadlines, etc. and then I came home to a house that needed cleaning,meals to make, laundry to do, helping kids with homework, being a cahuffeur , after dinner high school sports ..games and practices,. We Moms work hard no matter what.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:03 PM on May. 13, 2010

• It is tuff no matter what you do. I have been a working mother and it was hard to be away from my kids. I am know a SAHM and it is hard because I do not get that adult conversation. So we all know there are benefits of both and a draw backs of both.

Anonymous