Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can/Will the police make kids go with their dad if they dont want to?

the kids are 12 and 9 old enough to know better and old enough say hay i cant whats going on over at my dads house i dont want to go..........

Answer Question

Asked by lmd2009 at 2:57 PM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • If his parental rights haven't been diminished, the he has the legal right to see his kids on his visitation time. You would have prove that he is unfit.

    Answer by lowencope at 3:00 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • No, the police won't get involved if he has a court order for visitation. Their job is to enforce the law, not make or judge it. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't get involved. What you need to do is petition the court to change visitation. GL


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • he has court order rights to his kids- but the kids told me they do not want to go period as long as he is with this women! If the cops come with him to get the kids, do you know if they will make the kids go even tho the kids say they dont want to?
    we have shared placement..........the kids cant stand it over at this place anymore its draggin them out and making them feel terrible.

    Answer by lmd2009 at 3:09 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • Does your custody agreement say anything about nonmarried overnight opposite sex partners? I know with my SIL's step son......the father (her husband) and mother of the SS could not have overnight opposite sex guests while he was in the house. My SIL would stay with my Inlaws when it was her then boyfriend's time to have his son. For her, it was no big deal. As soon as they got married, the rules changed in the agreement. And my Snephew has called the cops when his mother (not the most moral of women) has had her boyfriend of the day stay the night when he was there for visitation.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:18 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • If the court order says at such and such time on this day kid A and kid B are to be with the father and he goes to pick them up but they refuse to go you have to make them and the cops will tell the kids to go with the father as well. IF the order is not specific like "xxx has the kids for 8 hrs a week" then there is wiggle room and the cop doesn't have to make them go. IF there is a problem take it back to family court. In the mean time follow the order to the letter.

    Answer by babyfat5 at 3:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • I don't think the police would force them to go, but I would definately get some testimonies from a counselor or two whop will interview the kids, just for proof that it's not you coaxing them. Have the kids explained their reasons to him?

    Answer by GMMOLLY at 3:21 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • My lawyer fianlly called and he yes we need to follow the order, but if this much is goin on in that household, He will call Guardian Ad Litem to discuss the matter and hopefully get something temporarily so the kids do not have to go this weekend.
    I sure hope this works, I told him the kids are willing to speak up and voice their feelings. Thanks for the replies when in need, this is the place to go! As far as the current order, We will def. have this changed. Its sad that some fathers let the g/f run the show! There environment isnt good there so I know I have more in my favor than they do!

    Answer by lmd2009 at 4:10 PM on May. 13, 2010

  • Yes, if he has court ordered visitation then the police must enforce that if you refuse to turn them over. If they don't want to go. then by all means go to court and get before a judge and then the judge can modify the order. They are old enough to have the court consider their feelings...but you have to go through the court if the visitation is through the court.

    Answer by salexander at 11:13 AM on May. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.