Do you think verbal/emotional abuse is a good enough reason to call CPS?

I have a situation on my hands that I am not sure how to handle. I don't really want to give details but I will tell you the things that I witnessed were TERRIBLE, however there was no physical abuse involved. I am notso sure whether there would have been if I hadn't have been there though, but from what I seen I would not be surprised if there was. So do you think that this particular kind of abuse is worth calling about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was emotionally abused as a child and I can tell you that I would've rather been physically abused. At least someone would've seen my wounds that way. Emotional abuse is VERY hard to go through.
    Anonymous

• I would - if someone were that verbally abusive in public, can you imagine what it's like living in that home?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:01 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes, let them investigate, and if there is nothing there nothing will happen.

Answer by older at 3:01 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My cousin was verbally abused by my aunt (his adoptive mom). I don't think he will ever get over it - she would tell him he was stupid, would never amount to anything, dumb, and just a terrible person and after awhile he believed all she said. He has a hard time as an adult now. I would call.
    Anonymous

• I may be a good enough reason, but unless you have proof, it wont do any good to call CPS. They don't really have anything to go off of.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:01 PM on May. 13, 2010

• emotional, mental,verbal abuse are so much more damaging than physical....yes call
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:02 PM on May. 13, 2010

• OP here- I suppose that is true about not having proof. This didn't really happen in public. I was at a friend's house and the situation involved her boyfriend and his son (not my friend's child). I am kind of afraid that if they were to be investigated so soon after it happened that they would obviously know it was me who called.
    Anonymous

• Yes but if they don't see anything the can not do anything. Trust me I come from a verbal/emotional abusive mother. She was very good at covering it. And the people that did know didn't know what to do or ever step in to help. At least it is on the record you called.
    Anonymous

• you should def call
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:07 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes
    Anonymous