How to get my 6 month old to sleep through the night.

The only time my son has slept more than 4 hours through the night when he was around 2 months old. He did it a handful of times then stopped. Now he's waking 2 or 3 times a night. Wanting a bottle every time. I need to find a way for him to go back to sleep without it or just sleep straight through the night. He has also started napping for overall about 3 or 3 and a half hours during the day. He goes to bed at 10pm and wakes around 8 am. Any suggestions?

excitedmommy22

Asked by excitedmommy22 at 3:13 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is he on solids yet?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:16 PM on May. 13, 2010

• He will sleep through the night when he is ready. My 6 month old also wakes up a few times a night and she doesn't nap. It's just somethin' ya gotta deal with.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 3:17 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yup, he eats cereal and fruit for breakfast.. then he eats some sort of puree vegetable or meat. or mixed for lunch and supper. Then sometimes a little snack in between or after supper.
    excitedmommy22

Answer by excitedmommy22 at 3:18 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I agree he will do it when he is ready, but adding cereal to his bottle will help him sleep a little better.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:18 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I completely understand my baby was and still is the same way. She is almost 18 months old and still does not sleep through the night lol. Hubby and I want this to change but we have a hard time with letting her CIO. So...I guess until we find another option we will continue to have broken sleep :( .

I'll check back and see if anyone gave you some good advice lol.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• um...wait till he's old enough
    Anonymous

• My sons pediatrician said that as long as you give them a bottle during the night they will keep waking up for one but I disagree with taking milk away from them when they want it so I rather be tired waking up with them during the night. Thats coming from a mom who nursed her baby till 13 months old when ever he wanted it, very tiring but very rewarding at the same time.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:27 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Thanks, guys. I guess i'll just wait it out and see what happens.Im gonna try and incorporate a routine at night and see if that will help a bit. Fingers crossed!

excitedmommy22

Answer by excitedmommy22 at 3:29 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Cereal in the bottle DOESN"T make them sleep. If they sleep with it.,.,,.they will sleep without it. Nothing WE do makes them sleep, short of slipping them a sleeping pill and you certaily DON'T want to do that! Its something they have to do on their own.

You might consider reducing the nap times and see if that helps.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:35 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Unfortunately, he's probably just not ready yet. Give it time. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:39 PM on May. 13, 2010