Hedging your bets better than being sincere?

Ok, Christians, this is something that I was talking about today with my 18 yo son. I realize not all of you fit into this category. BUT, if you argue with me that I should be a Christian because I can't be SURE that your god does not exist, and wouldn't I rather be safe than sorry. I would say, if your god DOES exist, wouldn't he know that you are just posing because you're hedging your bets? Wouldn't he accept my sincere seeking, even if I thought that worshiping God/Goddess was right and it was wrong? If I truly LOVED the Divine, but misplaced my allegience, but you didn't love, just were trying not to go to hell, which would he reward more, I wonder.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Could go either way, really. Only he knows you.
    Just answering real quick..... the bible is great about giving examples of people who had similar thinking (which believing the bible is a WHOLE another topic , right.)
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:36 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Sound like the child who will tell their parents what they want to hear so they won't get in trouble. Only to find later when all the truth comes out they are bigger trouble then if they would have been honest. So no God doesn't like posers. He likes them even less then those who deny him. But whether you like it or not he loves and believes in us all.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:39 PM on May. 13, 2010

• But whether you like it or not he loves and believes in us all.

Bingo.

Thanks for making my point for me.

It does not matter WHAT path you take to get to the Divine... they all lead to the Divine. A true seeking always leads to the Divine in whatever way the Divine chooses to reveal itself to you. They are all valid, and all are loved.

FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 3:41 PM on May. 13, 2010

•  IMO, if you believe you believe, if you are a non believer, no amount of hedging your bets or pretending will do you any good if there is a big guy in the sky. I have come to the conclusion that there is no right or wrong when one chooses a path to follow, there is no one supreme entity that controls all of the heavens and earth, so no matter how a person chooses to respect/worship/idolize it's all good.  

Pascal's Wager~"If there is a God, He is infinitely incomprehensible, since, having, neither parts nor limits, He has no affinity to us. We are then incapable of knowing either what He is or if He is ... you must wager. .... Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager then without hesitation that he is."

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:51 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Since the beginning of time Yahweh has made a plan for us to inherit a perfect world with everlasting, life, joy ,and peace. This world was ruined, but that is why so many believers are trying to reach out to the unbelievers. We know the greatness of the promise to come and want everyone regardless of who they were, what they have done, and how they feel, to learn of it, and be apart of it. We are not going to be stingy and hide this promise from view. Everyone on this planet is invited to inherit this new and perfect world! And to rule it along side the Messiah as well! But to do so comes with sacrifice. You have to give up any malicious, hateful, and selfish living. You must follow the Messiah and be in complete obedience, and love. You must always put Yahweh's will before your own..continue..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 3:54 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I've always disliked that argument. It's not about what path you take. It's about learning and growing. Asking and seeking. These days as in days of the past. Many fall from the truth because of people. Bad teaching, lack of teaching. Or Teachers not really believing themselves or just people that are just power hunger so they abuse thier power. At times free will seems to just suck, but as a parent I would rather my children love me because they do, not because I told them to, or scared them into loving me.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:55 PM on May. 13, 2010

• How are we to do this? Be a daughter,wife,mother,sister, and friend all for Yahweh. Meaning even when others do not deserve it be merciful and treat them with respect. I know we all slip, but that is how we learn. Yahweh wants you to do things his way all the time, and that is love with all your heart, soul, and being. To him first by your actions and to you fellow mankind through actions. Any negative thoughts or views you may have, sacrifice them to Yahweh and continue to do good. Show you are his child by loving no matter what and give all your worries and cares to him. Not only will he bless you, but you will be greatly rewarded in the end. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 4:00 PM on May. 13, 2010

• This is Pascal's Wager in a nutshell- that it's a 'safer bet' to believe in God, because if you're wrong you don't lose anything out of the deal. This logic drives me crazy, simply because it is a flawed assumption: firstly, that there are only two options, either no God or the God concept of the person asking the question. What if the only God out there is the Flying Spagehtti Monster and everytime you worship someone else he gets angrier and angrier with you? It also assumes that an all-powerful God can't tell the difference between a sincere believer and someone who is simply trying to cover his own ass in the afterlife department. And it also assumes that belief is a choice, which I don't think is true, at least not in my case. I do believe in what I would consider God, but I simply have never been able to believe in personified deity in the sky.. not through lack of trying because at various times I have tried!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:00 PM on May. 13, 2010

• What if the only God out there is the Flying Spagehtti Monster and everytime you worship someone else he gets angrier and angrier with you?

Freela.. LOL!

could be true! Yikes! So sorry, your noodliness....
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 4:05 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Don't worry Fern, just partake of a wafer of garlic bread and a spoonful of marinara sauce, and the Noodly One shall forgive thee.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:32 PM on May. 13, 2010