Has or does anyone have trouble with potty training your 2 1/2 year old boy?

i am a mom to a 2 1/2 year old boy he is my first child and now is absolutley refusing to use the potty every time i ask him he responds with "No" there is no interest anymore at all a month ago he did it for 1 week and decided no more i would just like any tips if possible of someone who has been through it or going through the same thing please help!!

sjmille22

Asked by sjmille22 at 3:23 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Boys usually potty train later than girls around age 3. Maybe your just pushing him too soon.
    Anonymous

• i'm a newbie also and will be taking mental notes lol did he seem interested during that week?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:26 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My DS is now almost 3.5yo. We are STILL working on potty training. He was doing really well for a while there and now he's backslid a little bit again.

One thing I found was to not ask him if he needs to pee or poop but to tell him it;s time to.
    Every time I ask if he needs to he says no and then less than 20 minutes later he's wet himself.
    Now, every hour or so I say "Come to the bathroom now please and sit on the toilet, it's time to try and have a pee."

I gave him stickers on a chart for the first little while that I was potty training, that gave him incentive to go to the toilet. The novelty wore off after a while though.

I try not to put too much pressure on him to go because I don't want him to resent going on the toilet or anything.

I guess my best advice would be don't ask, just tell. :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:28 PM on May. 13, 2010

• that's very good advice laila! thanks!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:30 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I should add that I've been trying since he was 2 to potty train, but I'm letting him go at his own pace.

Lots of praise when he goes in the toilet and I try to be understanding and supportive when he has accidents in his pants too. I say "Oh dear, you've peed in your pants. That's ok, next time you'll do it in the toilet."
    It seems to encourage him to use the toilet. He just gets so distracted by playing that he forgets he's not in diapers anymore.

Constant reminding and mandatory potty breaks.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:31 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I am I am.. my son is 2-1/2 and we kinda started/introduced it at 18 months - I have yet to see him pee EVER - he poo'd once but I did the big happy potty dance everyone suggested and it scared him like you wouldn't believe, he looked at me like WHAT ARE YOU DOING? and then said No to every time I asked if he wanted to go - we tried suckers and stickers and praises and just underpants and still nothing..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:37 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Wow, this is amazing both mine were potty trained by 2. My boy and my girl.Just be patient.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 3:42 PM on May. 13, 2010

• MY son is 3 and we're just now starting to make some progress on potty training.. I've been trying for months but he'd scream if I tried to get him to sit on the potty so I'd wait. I got him to sit every night before his bath. Once he was pretty good at that, I tried pushing a bit more. Invariably he'd be ok for aday or two then refuse again. Last Friday was nice out so I decided to put the potty outside and try again. 5 minutes after we got out, he was wet.. I then decided to let him go naked. Others have suggested it but I couldn't figure out why that would just be a mess. However, after going naked for the better part of two days, we'd made progress. I gave him a couple of M&Ms every time he peed (he has yet to poop) on the potty. By day 3 we were trying underwear. We're still working but I have to put him on hte potty. He doesn't go by himself.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:39 PM on May. 13, 2010

• We started when he turned 2. We tried every month without luck. He'd do good for a couple days, but then would stop. Once we were about a week away from his 3rd birthday, he suddenly got it. Within 2 weeks of his 3rd birthday he was completely potty trained, day and night, because HE was ready and HE wanted to and HE did it. Give him time.
    Anonymous

• Some boys just aren't ready until 3 to 3.5 years old. Never in a million years did I think I would have a 3.5 yr old in pullups, but when he got it, he got it. You just can't force it if they aren't ready
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:37 PM on May. 13, 2010