18 month old potty training question.

Ok my 18 month old daughter has been showing signs that she is ready to be potty trained, she pats her bum and says potty, and she hold her pee for up to 3 hrs, and she stays dry all night...but my problem is when i sit her on the potty she wont do anything but cry and fuss and want to get back off... but when i take her off she goes in her room and does her pee in there...how do i get her to pee in the potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was like that, too. I think you should be able to get her comfortable there pretty quickly if you do a couple of things. 1, let her down when she wants down. 2, offer to ready her a book or let her hold something she likes on the potty -- anything that will distract her just long enough to sit there for a minute and to be able to realize, hey, nothing bad happened to me! I think this is a common first reaction to the potty, and a lot of people get very nervous and put the whole thing on hold and miss a good window of potty training opportunity. You can also try a potty chair or a potty ring, whichever one you're not using right now. my first daughter preferred the one, my other daughter preferred the other.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:21 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Sound like she is not mentally ready for it. I would give it a couple of months and then retry.

Anonymous