where's the potty?

I dont see the problem with putting the potty in the living room since it is easy access for beginners, but what are your opinions? Keep it in the bathroom? The living room is the main area of the house. if my son has an accident I'll find it so much easier to stick him on the potty right then and there instead of rush him down the hall to the bathroom...or is that just laziness on my part? Just trying to get some ideas before pt starts :)

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:39 PM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Keep it in the bathroom. It is far cleaner and you want them to get used to having to go to the bathroom to use the potty. That way they know when they start feeling like they need to pee how much time before an accident happens that they have to rush down the hall.

Do you really want to be hauling a bowl full off pee and poo through your house to dispose of and clean out?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:45 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I prefer having it in the bathroom for the same reasons stated by twinsplus2more.
    Anonymous

• lol you know...I never thought about that (hauling a bucket of pee and poo through the house...and I am quite clumsy)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:48 PM on May. 13, 2010

• In the bathroom... I could not handle having a potty in the living room.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:49 PM on May. 13, 2010

• another question ladies! what type of potty do you suggest? So many say to train with a ring on the big potty from the start, but I'd feel comfortable starting out with a standstill potty since they are toddler-height friendly. I'm avoiding the safety 1st brand and anything with bells and whistles.....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:59 PM on May. 13, 2010

• In the very early stages of potty training, I kept it in the living room.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:02 PM on May. 13, 2010

• krysta...did that cause any confusion?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:05 PM on May. 13, 2010

• We also started with it in the living room. Our bathrooms are all upstairs so it would have been very hard for my 18 month old to make it. She is 2 and a half now and it is in the bathroom. We let her move it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:09 PM on May. 13, 2010

• We had one in every bathroom. And it was the cheapest molded plastic potty available at Wal-Mart or ToysRUs. When they were fully trained, we worked on learning to use the BIG potty. And with boys - DO NOT use what my husband called the ball buster, the splash guard - have them touch their toes to make sure their penis doesn't spray out of the potty and teach them to tuck it down when sitting. Peeing standing up was a skill we saved for the BIG potty and they really didn't do that until they were all 4/5 yrs old.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:28 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I started out with it in the living room, because that's where we spent most our time. My son was pee trained before age 2. There was a little transition when we moved it, but it didn't last long, and he did transitioned fine. He learned very fast though Idk if that's got anything to do with it being in the living room or not. I started out letting him be nakey from the waist down, and then when he started getting it, I put undies on him, then went from there. This time with my 2nd baby he's 15months old and I just got a ring for the big potty, and I'm hoping to simplify the process this time around. I don't know if I will be successful or not, but that's how I'm going to try it this time around. Hopefully he learns just as quick as his big brother. He's already grabbing himself and saying pee pee, so I put him up on the potty each time he does that, he loves it, but hasn't actually done anything up there yet. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 4:29 PM on May. 13, 2010