Did you know that SAHM's only spend 42 more mins. per/day of one-on-one time with their kids than working moms?

"A fascinating report on this came out last week from Suzanne Bianchi at the University of Maryland. She concluded that a working mom engages with her child 42 minutes less per day than a stay-at-home mom.

You might wonder how could it average only 42 minutes difference, when mom is home for nine hours. Remember that stay-at-home moms send their children to school, and often to after-school enrichment programs. Working moms, meanwhile, really kick it up a notch when they come home. They pack a ton of direct interaction into those three hours before bedtime."

This is direct interaction, we're talking about. That means time directly spent with the child as opposed to cooking, cleaning, showering, doing laundry etc. Is this 42 mins. really worth arguing about?

Read full article at Time: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1193793,00.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No i do not think this sahm vs working mom is worth fighting over BUT what about the parents whose children aren't of school age?
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:49 PM on May. 13, 2010

• We are talking about 'direct interaction,' i.e., one-on-one time not spend engaging in other activities. As Sahm's know, you are often cooking, cleaning, doing dishes, laundry, etc. That is time that is not 'directly' spent with children.
    Anonymous

• who cares ?? im a SAHM and its been my choice. but im not complaining and whining that my DH doesnt help me at home. i know he works hard at his work and this is MY work at home. i chose to stay home till my baby is old enough for me to go back to work. dont u think we have had enough discussions on this topic and just drop it already !!
    Anonymous

• I could see where this would be true for school aged children but its completely off base for pre-school aged children
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:51 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Thats funny because my daughter is with me 24-7...I don't even get 42 minutes away from her in a day! lol. My son does go to school though. But he is only away from me 7 hours a day. Hmmm...guess they forgot to add moms like me into that poll! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:51 PM on May. 13, 2010

• This is simply more feminist propoganda. 42 min? That's rediculus. Common sense should tell you that number doesn't make any sense at all.
    Anonymous

• Agreed. My kids are 3 and 9 months.....I give them a hell of a lot more one on one time than 42 more minutes than someone who works full time.
    I know this for a fact because their dad works full time and barely sees them.

Studies are not 100% accurate for all families.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:53 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I don't care who stays home and who works, or how much time they spend with their kids. What I am doing with my kids is woorking for us and that's all that matters. The whole Mommy War thing is just absurd. People seem to need something to argue over, and other people need stupid studies to do so they can get published in some journal.
    Anonymous

• "Thats funny because my daughter is with me 24-7...I don't even get 42 minutes away from her in a day! lol."

Man, I hear you. The only break I have from my kids is when they're sleeping. As for housework, my toddlers "help" me with almost all my chores, so they are still getting quality time with me even then.

42 min seems a little off based, since a stay at home mom can get her kids at 3:30, but a working mom doesn't make it home until around 6pm. Also, there was a far more important and widely accepted study that showed teens and preteens most often engage in sex, drugs, and drinking during the time inbetween they get home from school and when their parents get home from work (3:30 to 5:30pm).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:56 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Sooooo I guess this means sahm of school age children get 42 more minutes of quality time a day with thier children...not sahm all together. And that would mean the working moms who come home and do nothing but spend quality time with their children (and not do the cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, etc.) I am a working mom, but I know how hard staying at home with children all day long can be. But yes, it is a silly discussion...everyone is hard working wether you are staying at home or working. Let's all quit complaining about our lives and be thankful we have these amazing children to go to work for, or stay home and work for.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:57 PM on May. 13, 2010