if you served your time in jail for fleeing an officer, then had a court date for it, can you be put back in jail?

had a friend who asked me this question and i didnt know if you can be put back in jail and do more time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No he paid bail to be out of jail until the court date. When he goes before the judge the sentence will be decided. So yes he could be put in jail. Bail is not time served. (If I am understanding you correctly). When you are arrested depending on the place you either see a magistrate or a judge. I can speak the process of magistrate. The magistrate determines if the arrest is justifiable and issues a bail and signs warrants. Then you go to jail. The next morning you see a judge (arraignment). During arraignment your charges are explained and then if the judge wishes you get a new bail amount and a court date. When you bail out you sign a form saying you WILL go to court, if you don't the people who bailed you out get in trouble and come after you along with a failure to appear warrant being issued. Then your odds for bail are gone. At the court date your sentence and fines are determined. (I worked for the Sheriffs dept).
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:28 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If they served the whole sentence then NO but if they are not complying with the release terms or whatever then YES
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 3:59 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Did he have to pay a fine?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:59 PM on May. 13, 2010

• if you missed the court date? yeah. if you miss a court date they put a warrant for your arrest if you dont eventually go.
    if you orginally got arrested and were only in jail until your arraingment, and then they released at your arraingment until your next court date, you could eventually get sentenced and have more jail time, but it probably wont be at the first court date.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:59 PM on May. 13, 2010

• he paid a "get out fee" of 200.00 to get out of jail then the court date will determine the fees. He wouldnt miss his court date purposely, no. OP
    Anonymous

• Some people get out before arraignment. They sign a paper agreeing they will be in court on their given court date. Hope this helps and I have understood you correctly.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:30 PM on May. 13, 2010

• thanks kc. you did explain to me what i wanted to know!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on May. 14, 2010