Do you agree with the school to charge an autistic with felony because the school doesn't believe he is autistic?

May 13, 2010
A 14-year-old autistic boy was suspended and charged with a felony over a picture he drew in school, MyFoxAtlanta reports. The boy's mother said he was in a special needs class when he drew a picture of two stick figures, one of which was holding a gun.

The eighth grader's picture depicted a stick figure with a gun that was labeled "me." The figure was shooting another figure that had his teacher's name above it.

The boy has been suspended and is now facing criminal charges.

"They've pressed felony charges for terroristic threats," said the teen's mother, Karen Finn. "It's that sweeping zero tolerance, and I think it's ridiculous."

Finn said her son, Shane, drew the picture on the page of a school assignment where his teacher would easily see it. She said her son is autistic and has the mental capacity of a third grader, and he doesn't really understand why he's in trouble.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Has the child been tested? Is he in special needs classes? If not why shouldn't he be charged? He is obviously disturbed and why should the other students be put in harms way. Remove the kid and let the system work it out. I wouldn't want that child in class with mine....
    Anonymous

• The picture led to Finn being suspended, and he is now facing criminal charges.

"They've pressed felony charges for terroristic threats," said the teen's mother, Karen Finn. "It's that sweeping zero tolerance and I think it's ridiculous."
    Anonymous

• School authorities could not say much about the student because of privacy laws, but they did confirm that Shane will face a tribunal and is being charged with making terroristic threats.
    Anonymous

• Wow...I think felony terrorist charges over a kid drawing a stick figure with a gun is a little overkill. Suspend him sure, if there's zero tolerance then there's zero tolerance.
    Having a felony charge will ruin his life. That's a pretty shitty thing to do to a kid who's 14 years old and autistic.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Autism comes in many forms. AS the mother of a child with Autism I can say that it is very possible that this child was functional enough to know what he was doing was wrong. I know my son would be. I think sending ANY child to trial over such is a bit over kill but it is what it is and the fact that he has a form of autism does not excuse his behavior.
    Anonymous

• My 1 st grader knows better than to threaten someone...just sayin'
    Anonymous

• Do you have a link? Just would like to read the whole story.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:25 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Use the link to watch the video including the drawing.
    http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/14-year-old-autistic-boy-charged-051210#
    Anonymous

• A 14-year-old autistic boy was suspended and charged with a felony over a picture he drew in school, MyFoxAtlanta reports. The boy's mother said he was in a special needs class when he drew

Anonymous

• I don't see that he was autistic just because he drew a picture like that. So many young boys draw silly pictures like that and they aren't aurtisitc and they don't get arrested at school. WHat is wrong with people???That is overreaction,for sure!!! It is like killing a mosquito with an H Bomb,don't you think?
    Anonymous