Have you ever boycotted a company or business?

Why did you do it? What reasons would you choose to do it in the future? How effective do you think organized boycotts can be?

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 4:15 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i have boycotted a couple of brands in early life. various reasons. and no i dont think it makes any difference as they have so many consumers that a few hundred ppl not purchasing their product will really shut them down. this is real world we live in. not some movie where there is a happy ending
    Anonymous

• Yes. The company failed on their end of the contract so I took my money back and never looked back. We told our families about our bad experience with this company and neither side of the family buys from them.

I think organized boycott is effective and a peaceful option to show someone's dislike.
    Anonymous

• I've boycotted WalMart for the last 7 years. I don't believe in their business practices. Since they are the world's largest retailer, my personal boycott hasn't done anything to them, but I feel good about my decision. :)

I think the only way an organized boycott can work is if you have enough people completely committed to the cause. I'm not aware of any boycott in the last few years that has actually caused a business to change. People can be very apathetic, it's sad.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:21 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yep, I have boycotted. In fact, I am boycotted a few companies right now. I realize that my personal boycotts do nothing to hurt a large company, but I refuse to do business with a company has done something unethical enough to cause me to walk away furiously angry. I understand that businesses are in business to make money, so I tend to cut a them a lot of slack as long as they are being honest and polite. But once they lose my faith, they lose my business.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:35 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes. A few, due to poor customer service. having worked on "both sides of the counter" I know what was expected of me as an employee, and I expect the same when I am a customer.

I know my boycott won't actually do anything to hurt the bottom line of most companies--even though I will make sure to tell people about my negative experience if asked, but I feel good in not giving them my hard-earned money, when I don;t feel they deserve it, or I don't care for their business practices/policies.

Did you know that satisfied customers, on average, tell only 2 people about their positive experiences, whereas and unhappy customer will tell an average of 11 people about their negative experience! Think about it the next time you shop and what you do following a positive or negative interaction.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:51 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Lorikeet, I didn't know the exact stats on that thanks for sharing. It makes sense that people would be more willing to express the negative instead of their postive experiences about a company though. Just looking around here on CM and in RL it's a clear pattern.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:31 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I used to boycott Snapple because they sponsored Rush Limbaugh!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 5:48 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My daughter and I boycotted the Dixie Chicks. While they have the freedom to speak. We have the freedom to choose.
    dandydiane

Answer by dandydiane at 6:00 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I boycotted Lazarus because my best friends and I were in there and we noticed a definite racial bias. WE called them on it, they were snippity and bitchy....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:15 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes, Jcrew, KFC ect... all for animal cruelty.
    In some cases it is effective; Jcrew changed their skinning of dogs, cats and raccoons pretty quick... other companies, it just takes some time.
    XenaBeth

Answer by XenaBeth at 6:47 PM on May. 13, 2010