c-section/breastfeeding

I have to have a planned c-section in which i will be put to sleep(can't do epid.) Does anyone know if i will still be able to breastfeed, or does anyone know how that works?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think they told us in birthing class that when you wake in the recovery room, you should try to feed? I had a c sec but i was awake. They brought him in the recovery room when i got there and i started then..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:31 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I had a c-section with my last.
    I didn't get put to sleep though, I had an a spinal.
    Even still...I didn't get to breast feed her until about 8 hours later...I was so out of it.
    I was so upset and crying. I couldnt even hold her. I remember asking a few times if I could feed her yet and they kept telling me no and I told them NOT to feed her a bottle.I was really worried that they would do that but from what I knew, they didnt give her a bottle. She seemed to be fine waiting the 8 hours to eat,she didnt starve,lol.
    Good luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:33 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I had a c-section(at night) and I breastfed the next day. I didnt have much milk but the colosum(idk if thats the right word) was coming out. Then the 3rd day I was full of milk and able to. My baby would take bottle and breast tho.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 4:39 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes you will. In my hospital, I had to go to recovery for an hr!! Sucked because I wanted to be with my baby. It really didn't matter, because she had breathing issues so I couldn't nurse her right away anyway BUT having a cesarean is no reason to not breastfeed! Be sure to get a nice comfy Boppy or pillow to reduce the weight pressure on your scar when you breastfeed. Oh and your milk may or may not come in a little later. Mine took about 4-5 days.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I had an unplanned c/s with my last son. I had a spinal and had to go to recovery after while he went to my room with my hubby. I'm not sure how long I was in recovery, but it was several hours from the time he was born until I was able to nurse him. Everything went really well though, he nursed like a champ and I had lots of milk. The only worry I would have is if they do the c/s really early, you're body may not be as ready for nursing as it would be a week or two later. I don't know for sure about that, so it might not even be an issue though.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:23 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I had a c-section (spinal) and they brought the baby to me in recovery and I nursed right away. The doc has assured me we should n't be separated fro long if she is fine. I would say to nurse as soon as you are able and make your wishes about her feeding (or not) well-known ahead of time. I hope all goes well!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 5:45 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I had a planned csection - I had an epi, but there were some complications and I ended up being given a general and was out. I woke up in the recovery room and was able to try to start breastfeeding at that time.

Answer by missanc at 8:31 PM on May. 13, 2010