Sincere question about the bible...

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while. The bible was written within the span of a few thousand years. Millions and millions of people lived before it was written. Surely some of them had direct revelations from God. They aren't in the bible. Millions and millions of people have lived AFTER the bible was written, surely some of them had direct revelations from God. They aren't in the bible. Why should we think that the very limited timespan that is represented is all that God had to say? Why should we even think that a god actually SAID any of it? If people claim today that god told them to write something down, would you believe it? Why do you believe what someone wrote thousands of years ago? Does it being old make it more true? Just wonderin'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, most of what is written in the bible (escpecially in the New Testament) was personal accounts from people who followed Jesus. I think what you believe depends on how willing you are to actually believe. That is what it is about...surrending yourself to God even though we only know what has been taught and written. It's very hard to do at times.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 4:43 PM on May. 13, 2010

• a christian person was pushing his religion on me the other day while i was at work. He told me that bible stood for Book of Instruction Before Leaving Earth. I had never heard that before. I found it pretty interesting. To me it just sounds like someone wanted to write rules for everyone to live by. thats all. someone who wanted to be leader or king.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:46 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Actually, rlhall1980, that is really not true about the NT. As much as I would have loved to believe it, it is not true. Most of it was written well after his death. The earliest would have been about 50-70 years later, and before everyone jumps on me, this is common knowledge if you dig a little.

You didn't actually answer my question anyway. But that's ok. I just think it is weird that people accept this book, written thousands of years ago as truth, when we don't have any reason to accept it as any more true than any other book. Thousands of years from now, will they be reading some science fiction book we wrote and holding it up as the gospel? I wonder.
    Anonymous

• History and science can be compatible with the bible. One can link real places, people, kings, languages, and customs to events in the bible.

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:57 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Anon 48 - YOur last sentence kind of reminded me of "Planet of the Apes" lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:58 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Actually the whole bible includes all the people from ancient times till the death of apostles. These men were the only ones that were given testimony of Yahweh [talking OT], and the men of the [NT] were to set up Yahweh's laws and decrees in a assembly [what you call church] setting after the Messiah's death. Were there others who bore witness to Yahweh and Yahshua his son? Yes, but they were not his chosen priests/prophets to dos so. All of Yahweh's children will receive their rewards. Now if you are wanting the testimony of the wicked you cannot expect to find that in Yahweh's holy book/word. Noah and his family were the only survivors of the flood and their decendants make up the men of the bible. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 5:00 PM on May. 13, 2010

• how do you know they do not speak of some king..you do know that in mid evil times they would call kings "my lord and god"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:03 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Well, the LDS church does believe God talked again through Joseph Smith.

So some do believe God talked after the Bible was done.

Personally, I dont buy the Bible as complete truth and word for word honesty. Too much time passed before it was all collected and too much editing went into it for me to be comfortable buying it as completely fact,etc.

I do think the Divine spoke before, during, and after. I think the Divine speaks to everyone who is open to hearing them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• :-) This goes back to the age old question of.. Did God speak to people then like they do today? My answer is yes He does and yes there are things that were not written down that are revelatory for today. Yet when you get these it MUST line up with His word and the character of who God is.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I think Revelations are a human being's thoughts that are so vivid that they think it is the word of God or some kind of holy being. But they are only his or her own thoughts and they mistakenly attribute them to an outside force/being/God.
    Anonymous