How long should I wait to work out?

Two days ago as I was working out....I started having pain in my left shoulder which got worse as I worked out. So I stopped of course, but this is the third day in a row (I only worked my lower body the other day) . . . as all of my workouts use weights and somewhat use my arms...I just haven't worked out at all these past 2 days. I really feel like a lazy bum, but I don't want to make it worse. How long do you think I should wait? I don't know how I hurt my shoulder, so maybe I slept on it or something....any advice would be appreciated.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 4:47 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Use the R.I.C.E rest, ice, compression, elevation if you can. If you've given it a few days, try some light weights and only work to just below you pain threshold and increase slowly. How long you weight, really depends on the type of injury.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:05 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If it's been 3 days and you haven't noticed any improvement I'd have a Dr. Check it out... That or take a week off of everything and try to use that arm as little as possible. Maybe you just aren't letting it heal. I'm an avid weight lifter too so I know how hard it is to take time off, but better to do that than to make it worse or not let it heal and end up having to take even more time off! If you try taking a week off and it feels better you also don't want to jump right back in to the heavy weights, so maybe give it another week of building back up to really heavy weights. Good luck!

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 8:15 PM on May. 13, 2010